Keller @ Large: End Of The World Saturday?

BOSTON (CBS) – Just when you thought you could look forward to a nice relaxing weekend after a long, rainy week, you hear that some nut bag in Oakland, California with a radio ministry is claiming that his own unique brand of biblical math has the world set to end Saturday night at around six o’clock.

Listen to Jon’s commentary:

Actually, he claims that’s Rapture time, when the chosen will be lifted up to heaven and the seven billion or so of us left behind will experience five months of natural catastrophes until the planet is wiped out, right in the middle of the baseball playoffs.

(I don’t buy it, and I expect you don’t either, but all kidding aside, if you do, please do not liquidate all your savings as some have reportedly done, just in case you need to resume normal life on Sunday.)

Anyway, I will admit that this most recent apocalyptic sham did get me thinking about what I’d do if the world really were about to come to an end Saturday night.

First thing I’d do is go out for a big barbecue dinner to think over my next move. No need to skip the baby backs and potato salad – I am officially off my diet.

If you think about it, there are quite a few things you wouldn’t have to worry about if we all had less than 36 hours to live.

No need to water the lawn, not that it needed it this weekend anyway.

I was going to trim my front hedge tomorrow, but now, I don’t think so.

The dog still needs walking, but that’s not a chore, that’s a pleasure. In fact, Buddy can pretty much pick what she wants for dinner when we get back.

I don’t think I’ll be counting down the hours watching everyone else do so on TV.

The end of the world means no more news, and one night a year is more than enough to watch a big crowd of people waiting for the ball to drop.

Instead, I’ll gather family and friends around and swap some stories about the good old days, have a few laughs, maybe get up a rowdy game of bocce.

There will be Italian food handy, and cold beverages of various types.

What else is there?

Bring on the end – but please make it wait until after the Bruins game.

You can listen to Keller At Large on WBZ News Radio every weekday at 7:55 a.m. and 12:25 p.m. You can also watch Jon on WBZ-TV News.

More from Jon Keller
Comments

1. ENUFF says:

So, if I called this guy and offered him a $1,000,000.00 donation on Sunday, he would say no, the world will be ending.

1. Ajay says:

Better yet… he should have no problem signing all of his assets, along with his followers’ assets, to me to be effective Sunday. They have no use for them and think of the ‘pionts’ they’ll get by making such a generous donation.

2. StanleyRamon says:

I think I’ll head up north for some camping and a hike in the White Mountains. Hopefully I’ll make it to the top before 6 for the best view of the end, if it’s not too cloudy.

3. Willow says:

Anyone who truly knows what scripture teaches would not get caught up in this. It’s sad that these type of people make a laughing stock out of the most beautiful book ever written, and our God.

Jon, you spoke about being disprespectful about misspelling Gov. Deval’s name yesterday, yet you are being disprespectful my poking fun at people who truly believe they are leaving the world tomorrow. The Bible does teach of the day of Rapture, but of that day, no one knows. I am a believer in the word of God and would not think of poking fun at anyone’s beliefs whether I agree with them or not.

4. graywolf says:

Am I to understand that I may be in a mall tomorrow and “chosen” people around me will just disappear? I have a few suggestions for the offering……do you think that’s allowed?

Jon, I laughed when you said walking the dog was a pleasure. My husband and sons might have a different view. If it were the end of the world, I’d have a pre-party also and like the BBQ idea but would add lobsters and fried clams. Friends and family would be a given.

This sounds like a good idea anyway. Maybe we should have non-end of the world celebrations!

5. Stephen Stein says:

I say – good Christians, what about your beloved pets? Who will take care of them when the Rapture happens?

Don’t worry – I have a solution for you. According to your scripture, I will not be among the saved. But for a reasonable fee (payable in advance, of course) I will promise to take care of your pets in the event that you are not around next week. Call now. Operators are standing by.

1. willow says:

So, you are saying that because of our pets, Christians should stay behind and endure the tribulation period that the bible teaches will follow the rapture and usher in the anit-Christ, and it isn’t just for 5 months. What about your beloved family members who are left behind? That would break my heart more then leaving pets behind. How much will you charge to take care of them?

1. Stephen Stein says:

I readily admit I am unschooled in the finer points of Rapture theology, but I wasn’t aware that believers had a choice – I thought you either went or not, depending upon some quality or belief that you did or did not have, and you couldn’t *choose* to stay behind with either pets or family members.

If you know your family has enough sinners or non-believers to keep your pets happy after you ascend, then you don’t need to take me up on my offer. But if you’re leaving behind children who are not worthy of being taken, I don’t think I want anything to do with them!

2. Ron says:

Someone’s already done that and sold some nice insurance policies. Or are you that guy? If so, bravo!

6. dismayed says:

We’ve become a country of non-believers. Instead of having a cook-out or watching a ballgame, if I really thought the world was coming to an end tomorrow, I would be sure I was right with God, and ready to meet Him.

1. Stephen Stein says:

I believe with complete faith in the coming of the Messiah. I don’t believe anyone knows when that might be, however. If today is my last day, I’m ready. But according to some believers’ theology, I’m going to be left behind. If that happens, no one will be more surprised than I.

If you aren’t right with G-d, do you think one day would be enough to get right with Him? And if you think you are, why not appreciate your last day on Earth with loved ones?

1. BostonIrish says:

Great comment, Stephen. I agree.

2. StanleyRamon says:

Yes, good comment Stephen and I agree, any day could be our last. We have no control over it, which is why I never wear a seat belt. Anyway this thread has become entirely too serious. Does anyone think this guy pictured above, resembles Walter, the dummy side kick of Jeff Dunham? See here

3. mikey says:

HEY STAN! You nailed it by posting Walter!

7. Joan K says:

At least God decided to wait until the weekend. If the world ended during the week, just imagine the delays that would cause on the T. Of course, most T commuters probalby wouldn’t notice the difference

8. BostonIrish says:

Oh, my! This is right up there with the Hale-Bopp nutjobs. Next, the Church of Scientology will be making some ridiculous announcement like Tom Cruise is the annointed Saviour!

9. graywolf says:

I am sorry I took part in this discussion. I do not like that this person has decided to use God to promote whatever it is he thinks he is promoting. I do not like that he has spent millions on billboards to market his prediction when he would have been better served by helping families in need – children in need.

However, willow and dismayed have made incredibly good points. It is his right to do and believe what he does as it is my right and all others here. To make fun of something a person believes is inexcusable and presumes that what you believe is in someway better or more important. I am ashamed I did. Truth be known, if I knew the world were going to end I’d be right where dismayed would be.

10. Willow says:

When I see Tom Cruise on a cross with nails in his hands and feet, I will then call him Savior. I just don’t understand how people can make fun of Jesus, whom I believe is our true savior.

1. Stephen Stein says:

@Willow – don’t tempt him! And if Cruise takes you up on it, don’t buy it!
      (I think the original commenter was making fun of Cruise, not Jesus.)

11. larrman says:

Forget the rapture happening this weekend. It’s the end of the Mayan calendar on 12/20/2012 we need to worry about (LOL). I’d max out my credit cards if I knew in advance!

12. Ed says:

Hey dismayed, do you realize your statement is idiotic? The USA is made up of all religions, some who believe in different Gods, some who believe in no Gods. Tell me you’re not that stupid? What ever a person believes in, they believe in. It’s their business, not yours.

1. Willow says:

Just because a country is made up of many religions, it does not mean that they have a relationship with God. There is a very big difference between the two, but I don’t expect you to understand that. Besides, believe that everyone should believe what they want, and you’re right, what you believe or anyone else is none of my business.

13. big1968 says:

If God hasn’t told His own Son, why would He reveal it to this guy? For the record, I’m Baptist and a true believer.

Mark 13:32 (New International Version)

The Day and Hour Unknown

32 “But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.

1. Willow says:

Amen, big1968. I’m a born again believer also, and you are absolutely correct in what the bible teaches.

14. Cinque says:

I just hope and pray that Da Mayor doesn’t order a citywide evacuation.

15. emom says:

THE SKY IS FALLING,, THE WORLD IS ENDING……. WHAT SHALL WE DO….. RUNNING AROUND LIKE CHICKEN LITTLE……OH NOOOOOOO…… OK sorry had to say it… this guy , just like all those in the past, is just trying very hard to stir up panic. WONDERFUL now we have people believing this guy and going to do stupid stuff…. We have seen it many times, and so many have taken their lives because of these whack jobs… I am not casting stones, But I believe in only one GOD, he will be the only one that knows when this life will end. As for disrespecting how others believe,, to each their own, In the end we will either be here breathing a sigh of relief, or begging for forgiveness, IF you believe. Either way IF I knew it was about to end, I would have a party with my family and dearest friends, enjoy the company, talk about the great times, and before the end sit around a huge pit fire roasting marshmallows and enjoying the last sunset and the company of family and friends.. Otherwise its business as usual and I plan on enjoying the day either way…. ~~~~~~ rumbling ~~~~~~ ………. Wait what’s that…… kidding….

1. Willow says:

emom, when you really think of what the rapture means, how can any of these other things compare with meeting Jesus face to face?

16. John Cronin says:

My golf club isn’t taking tee times for Sunday morning- said what’s the sense?

17. sean says:

Canada always seems to avoid controversy, terrorist attacks, etc., so maybe I’ll just move there and I’ll be safe from the whole thing.

18. jaygee says:

One has to assume that this fellow and his obedient followers haven’t done any food shopping this week. He will also be telling them on Sunday morning something like “Never mind, God called and told me it’s next year”.
    I think we should all treat each other like Christians. I, However, will not be resonsible for the consequences.

19. massman says:

This guy is a “nut bag”? How is he any different than people who believe in any religion period? The guy is obviously extremely ignorant. But no more so than anyone who believes some guy walked on water thousands of years ago. Or made bread and fish fall from the sky. Or that the earth was created in 7 days. It’s no worse than dumbing down our children by trying to implement something as foolish as creationism in our schools. This guy is only making himself look ignorant. If he, and the rest of the bible thumpers would read some none fiction, and pick up a science book, we’d all be better off.

1. tsal says:

Hi Massman – I pop in every now and then on here – less in recent months – and haven’t seen you hear much either. We’ve had this discussion before :) Don’t you think it is everyone’s right to believe as they want.

1. tsal says:

“here”

2. The Batman says:

Massman
      Science does not hold the anwers to the origin of the universe. There is a reason that the scientific explanation is called the “theory” of evolution. There is not one concrete fact to prove evolution yet people accept it as truth. However, there are more and more archeaological discoveries that continure to prove the accounts written in the Bible are accurate. Teaching children about creationism gives them the knowledge to be able to have a choice about what to believe and believing in the God of the Bible allows a person to believe in something greater and wiser than themselves.

1. tsal says:

Batman, I had the very same thought about giving children the choice as to what they believe. My SIL does not think he believes in God. But he has already started reading Bible stories to his three-year old so he will learn about the Bible so one day he can form his own opinion.

20. Irish Lad says:

Just to be on the safe side I’m not mailing in my mortgage payment until Monday :-)

21. Dee says:

I do not believe him, but I must respect his right of religeon and his beliefs.

Bur he has to respect mine too.

D.

1. tsal says:

Dee – one of the first good comments I’ve read

1. Dee says:

Thank you TSAl, that is what is great about America, ‘ our freedom here ‘.

Let this minister try this in the Middle East, he would be shot and to the wrong God.

22. Chappy says:

Jon,

I like the “nut bag” reference. Shows you have some. This guy is a wack job. People who need religion to justify their existence, all the power to ya, but don’t get all bent out of shape because a few people actually use common sense and some knowledge. Its their opinion just as its yours. “Poking Fun” what are we in second grade.

Having faith is good, and if it keeps you going threw your day then its serves its purpose. But I personally think its there to serve the weak people that need a reason to live. I can still be a good person and not believe in a religion. If I am not going to heaven because I don’t bow down in front of someone, and go to Church every Sunday, then we have some issues.

At least he isn’t Mormon though. Jesus came from another planet according to that religion….crazy wacky!!

23. mikey says:

Whatever. I just hope there’s no such thing as reincarnation because I don’t want to go through this B.S. again.

1. Ron says:

I am with you Mikey

2. dismayed says:

Good comment, Mikey. Don’t worry, there isn’t, and we won’t.

24. Mark says:

If it were true I wonder how many real atheists there would still be around.

25. Ellen says:

The End of Times will come in it’s own time, Not by the rhetoric of a bunch of fanatics that seem to think they know more then Jesus himself does on when the End will be.

26. chappy says:

Mark: the bigger question is if it isn’t true would people still believe? Could the world exist without religion?

I think probably not. Too many people would go crazy!!

27. Joe says:

I say we have a rapture party! We’ll be serving BBQ Crow for all you nut jobs. The end is “NAH”!

28. Joe says:

chappy, my opinion I think they were already crazy. Have some crow.

29. Franz says:

Why show a file video of a Catholic Priest serving the Eucharist when at the same time be mentioning Pastor Harold Camping? Shoddy and lazy news production is the answer OR more Catholic bashing.

30. Ceeiallah says:

Peace listen I am God and i’m letting everyone know that they have nothing to worry about!!! The end is when you lieve this world through death! That’s it life for everyone else goes on! And for the record I really am God lord of all worlds from the highest to the lowest and I am about peace! I love everyone!!!!!! Peace

31. KathyD says:

Hey Jon, if you’re hosting a party on Saturday, put me down for a mac salad and some lampshades. Let the end begin!

32. Ceeiallah says:

If any of you need advice about life and on any level you can reach me at 2016407367 no charge i don’t want anything from any one besides for you to be respectful of self and others and for everyone to treat children as the blessings they are! Once again I Am the True and Living God and my name is CEE I ALLAH and when you say my Name you see me in you!! I am not the God of the christians nor the God of the muslims not even the God of the Jews or the God of any Faith for that matter I am the God of the Universe and my language is Truth!!!! When you speak the Truth you speak in my name Peace to all the human families of the planet Earth I Love you all!!!!

33. Ceeiallah says:

Peace I am also on facebook.

1. Stephen Stein says:

What would G-d want with a Facebook?

1. The Batman says:

@Stephen Stein

Just out of curiousity, is there something wrong with the “o” on your keyboard. It seems to malfunction at very specific times.

2. Stephen Stein says:

(this is the third time I’ve tried a response to Batman… maybe it’ll work this time)

My religion has the quaint custom of not writing out the Holy Name, especially in a secular context. Just another silly religious thing.

And certainly a botched Star Trek quote qualifies as a secular context.

34. graywolf says:

Jon, you told me yesterday when I misspelled Deval Patrick’s name “Disagreement with him or any other politician is welcome; casual disrespect is not.” It was a misspelling on my part but I apologized because you were absolutely right that I should have checked the spelling first.

As I read the comments here. I cannot help but wonder how an untended misspelling is disrespectful but blatant insults are not. To disagree with a person because he believes in God or does not believe in God is everyone’s right. Stating that anyone who believes one way or the other is a nut job or a fanatic or weak or the many other things said here is blatant disrespect. Have the governor and other politicians somehow earned a higher degree of respect than everyone else?

I agree with your statement to me but would change it slightly. “Disagreement with him or any other PERSON is welcome; casual disrespect is not.”

This is not intended to criticize you in any way as I have said before that I like your topics and your perspective and feel you attempt to stay in middle ground. It is no more than a question as to where the line is drawn with regard to respect.

35. Ceeiallah says:

Peace is the universal greeting of God P.E.A.C.E stands for Proper Education always corrects errors!! or PLEASE EDUCATE ALL CHILDREN EQUALLY as Well as POSITIVE ENERGY ALWAYS CAUSES ELEVATION!!!! PEACE

36. Willow says:

And we, Christians, are called nut cases?

1. Stephen Stein says:

@Willow – I don’t think most on this thread consider Christians to be nutcases, only those that follow Harold Camping. I would commend to you the comment of big1968 above.

1. Willow says:

Thank you, have commented to big1968.

37. Cynic says:

I hope my mortage is approved before Saturday>

38. emom says:

OK this weekend will be truly interesting… lets see, I plan on going out and do some shopping, then come home sit with my kid watch a TV program.. Not sure what I will watch , a funny , tear jerker, a comedy, action, or a movie with things exploding or the earth crack apart….so much to choose from… then I will have a drink, think I will pull out the hard stuff, and a bowl of popcorn and enjoy the evening… then wait…………….wait……………………………..wait some more………………. Still waiting….. Forget it ,, I think after all that waiting I will just go to bed… GOOD MORNING SUNDAY…. Yeah I wonder how many of these “believers” will be truly upset that they are still here,,,, will there just be sadness or mass you know……. If these folks want to believe the end is near then so be it….
    By the way who cares about some misspelling… this screen is small and so faint its not a wonder we miss spell. There are way more things in life to worry about than if someone miss spells…

39. dismayed says:

Since when is it allowed to make fun of anyone by allowing the video of Jeff Dunham and his dummy?

Jon, I always thought your blog was above that.

40. The Batman says:

This man’s incorrect and fanciful statements about the date of the Rapture are no different than the predictions of William Miller, Charles Russell, The Watchtower Society or anyone else who attempts to set a specific date for the Rapture to occur. There is only One who has the knowledge of that date and time (see Big1968’s comment above). And for those who say that it would take more than a day to “get right with God”, all I have to say on the subject is that it only takes the time needed to accept that you are a sinner, that Christ is the Son of the Living God and that His death on the cross two thousand years ago was the ONLY acceptable sacrifice that would redeem us in the sight of God.

41. George Carlin says:

The Christians are coming and they aren’t very nice people.

1. dismayed says:

Why do you think they need Christ?

42. kasser says:

Excellent
    The commute on Monday will be a breeze

43. Jim Haines says:

He is a BLASPHEMING LIAR!!!!! Read the parable Jesus told of the foolish virgins. He told us to be alert for no one but the Father in heaven knows when judgment day is. Oh Woe to those who lead my people astray!!!!!

1. The Batman says:

@Jim Haines
      What chapter are you referring to in regard to the parable that you mention. I am not familiar with any parable having to do with foolish virgins.

1. Stephen Stein says:

Matthew 25, I think (though no one should rely on me for New Testament references!). Google is your friend.

44. BostonIrish says:

kasser, I was thinking the same thing! If this really happens (and I know I’m not included) I won’t have to wait in traffic, the toll booths will be clear! But the tax collectors will still be here (they’re not going either). Darn!

45. Willow says:

For those of you who think the commute will be an easy one come Monday morning, think again. When this really happens, there will be car crashes everywhere as only the church will be taken, not the vehicles, or the planes, etc.

46. 666Willow says:

Willow they don’t come any dumber than yourself. Empty headed dumbarse.

47. BostonIrish says:

Jon, about a year ago April we had a similar topic. The posts were much more enjoyable and thoughtful. I was just thinking how much things change in a year.

48. emom says:

This dude lied, liar liar pants on fire… now what will he do,, how will he explain his way out of this to his followers,,….. they will really have issues with him …… or maybe they will beleive he is just old and miss calculated… oh well better luck next time////

49. beaches says:

All kidding aside, this has really upset one of my children after seeing this on the news. He’s autistic and he wouldn’t let it go. The poor kid really was believing all this no matter how much I tried to assure him. How many others were upset about this? Some people don’t have the ability to figure out if things are real or bull. And if the truly good do get taken first he will definitly be one of the first and all other autistic people.

50. tsal says:

beaches, I was worried about how the advertising would affect children too. I’m sorry your little guy had such a hard time. Unfortunately, I’m afraid you are also right that he was not alone.

BostonIrish, I think your question at 6:41 is a good one. It seems every day we move further from the values on which this country was founded. WE THE PEOPLE was a cornerstone for the country our forefathers hoped to build. Instead the WE has been replaced by ME. The individual’s rights, under the guise of the first amendment, have become more important than the rights of the WE. Too many believe nothing can infringe on their rights regardless of whether their rights infringe on those of another person.

A perfect example of the self-serving attitude held by many would be the comment at 1:38 yesterday which should have been removed and is the single largest reason I have rarely posted on this blog. It is a deliberate and uncalled for attack on another person. What is worse, the poster is such a coward that he or she cannot even post under its own name.

The not so funny part is that this comment will probably be removed before the one mentioned above.

51. emom says:

Good lord he is at it again… Why cant anyone prevent him from stirring up demise amongst people.. Its bad enough the economy is in poor shape, BUT to have this nut case prophesied potential doom and install fear in those already on the brink . Gee how does his followers feel about his last two FAILED predictions ..
    Oh is he going to claim the Iceland volcano, the earthquake both in Sand Francisco and the Mid Atlantic Ridge and the tornadoes in the mid west…. ITS NATURE no one can prevent that or predict them….