83-Year-Old Woman Dies In Hiking Accident

PELHAM, Mass. (AP) — Police say an 83-year-old woman has died in a hiking accident in Pelham.

Chief Gary Thomann says the woman and her daughter were walking on the Amethyst Brook Trail on Sunday afternoon when she apparently lost her footing and fell off a trail edge and slid about 30 feet down an embankment.

Thomann says the woman’s death remains under investigation but no foul play is suspected.

The nature of her injuries and her name was not immediately made public.

Crews from Amherst and Hadley also responded to the scene.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Comments

1. Willow says:

I don’t know too many 83 year olds who go hiking. I do hope that indeed, there was no foul play. In light of the young man who shot and buried his mother in the back yard, you can’t help but be suspicious.

2. Cinque says:

You are definately watching too much television. Everything in life isn’t related to a conspiracy to commit murder. Believe it or not, there are some people who actually do exercise but 83 year old women hiking in the woods is a bit absurd.

1. NickW says:

80 year olds skydive too. God bless them!

3. Michelle Fuller Fitzgerald says:

You people make me sick! This poor woman watched her mother die on Mothers Day. Have some compassion for her and the family. Not all 83 year olds are weak and feeble. I have an 80 year old great uncle who still skis. Clearly your parents didn’t raise you properly. If you don’t have anything nice to say, then don’t say anything at all! Keep your nasty comments to yourself.

1. NickW says:

I agree!!! How can people be so ignorant. I feel so sorry for this woman’s daughter and family. May she rest in peace.

1. Michelle Fuller Fitzgerald says: