Sen. Scott Brown Opposes Release Of Bin Laden Photos

BOSTON (CBS) – U.S. Senator Scott Brown said he’s against the public release of photos of Osama bin Laden’s corpse.

“I have seen the pictures, I’ve received the briefings, I’ve spoken to the operational leaders, and I can tell you for a fact that he is dead,” Brown originally told WBZ-TV’s Jon Keller Wednesday.

But, those photos shown to U.S. Senators were allegedly fake, Sen. Brown’s office confirmed to WBZ-TV on Wednesday.

“The photo that I saw and that a lot of other people saw is not authentic,” Brown’s office said in a statement.

WBZ-TV’s Jon Keller weighs in on the fake photos that apparently tricked Sen. Brown

Read: Keller @ Large: Withhold Bin Laden Death Photos If It Saves Lives

The White House is concerned that releasing the actual gruesome photos might further inflame radicals.

In an interview Wednesday afternoon with Steve Kroft for Sunday’s “60 Minutes,” President Obama said he won’t release the images.

WBZ-TV’s Kate Merrill asked a local expert about whether to release the bin Laden photos:

Brown praised President Obama for his handling of the covert mission.

“Our military and the president and his team should be commended for a job well done under tremendous, tremendously difficult circumstances. It’s like a novel, like an action-packed novel. They did a remarkable job.”

You can watch Keller’s entire interview with Sen. Brown Sunday morning at 8:30 a.m. on WBZ-TV’s ‘Keller @ Large.’

More from Jon Keller
Comments

1. Dianne says:

Scott Brown should keep quiet about this issue. I do not want to see the pictures but understand why some people would.

2. taxpayer says:

Sorry Sen Brown, but We the people of the United States of American have the right to see for ourselves. I want proof!!! and I also want to see the video of the burial at sea. thank you..

1. taxpayer too says:

I disagree..I don’t see why you think you have a right to see. We have elected officials who we decided make decisions in our best interest. We don’t have a right to absolutely every single thing. I may disagree/agree with what they say, but at no time do I think I deserve the right to see and know everything. That’s how it is.

2. mitchell jankowski says:

They do not have the right to see the photos if it is not in the best interests of the United States, our allies, military or civilians.

3. jak says:

Since when is centerfold Brown responsible for making decisions for us?

1. WesWelkerFan says:

Since we elected him

4. Fred says:

Since you elected him.

1. jak says:

I did not vote for him.

1. Patrick says:

Tough Jak. Neither did I. But a plurality of citizens of this Commonwealth did. That’s called Democracy. You might want to look it up sometime. Now since he is one of our elected officials, if you disagree with him, you can vote against him next time. Till then, suck it up and deal with it. I also say that to all conservatives out there. We dealt with Bush for 8 years, you guys can suck it up and deal with Obama.

2. robinslj says:

Patrick, I totally agree. Since when do US citizens think that we have the right to demand that our president put our troops at risk just to satisfy morbit curiosity and/or conspiracy whack jobs? Great job President Obama and great job to our brave troops.

5. Mike says:

Hide the pictures, Hide the body, Hide our Murderous Shame.

1. robinslj says:

Mike, you can’t be serious?

1. CEO says:

Let’s see, Obama says we can’t see the pictures. There’s 25 minutes of live video feed from Bin Laden’s assassination that is mysteriously gone. First we’re told the Navy Seals came under heavy fire, then we’re told 3 out of 4 men killed were unarmed. We were intially told the operation took 40 minutes, they we were told it happened a lot faster than that with things happening in split seconds. Yet Bin Laden’s daughter says they initially captured her father and then executed him later. Add to all that Obama’s story changing every hour and it makes you wonder what war crimes are being covered up.

6. BostonIrish says:

They’re not releasing them anyway. Point is moot.

7. Check it out says:

I dont understand the difference of plastering Sadam pictures all over when we killed him, But this man is supposedly responsible for 3000 deaths of our people and we the people dont have the right to see these photos, or any proof at all. The government does not have our best intrests at mind hasnt for a long time, WE THE PEOPLE WANT PROOF and your word is NOT enough for many!

8. Ed says:

The US never killed Saddam. He was executed by hanging, by Iraqi executioners. He was handed back to the Iraqis upon his capture.

9. macmum says:

I agree that it’s only inflammatory and possibly something that will incite more threats to US citizens here and abroad to release the photos. If it were a US citizen that was the subject of the photos…we’d all be hearing about a lawsuit and perhaps would side with the family. I’m thinking that his cohorts would react much more violently and vengefully if they were released. Why no just be glad that part of history is over with and move on?

10. Check it out says:

Under whose push ED? We were running the government at the time who ever we apoointed

11. Check it out says:

We also Assasinated his sons and posted the real gruesome pictures of them so whats the difference I ask once again?

12. sheeplenomore says:

they wont show the pics because too many eyes would descover they are fake…….,.he has been dead for years and kept alive to keep these money making wars going !!! plain and simple …..wake up and smell the coffee

1. robinslj says:

Sheeplenomore, Go back to sleep and enjoy your crazy dreams! Gotta love conspiracy theories – they keep the whackos happy and the rest of us amused.

13. msw says:

Let’s all remember what a lying buffoon this fool is at election time. Reminds me of Bush – not a competent elected official, but great for a daily laugh

14. Janet Snow says:

Isn’t it amazing that Scott Brown has to check things out before he speaks…short memory….how about the President speaking before he knew any facts on the Professor and the Police Officer…very interesting…

15. CEO says:

The bigger problem goes beyond the pictures. Obama can’t seem to get his own story straight about how the whole Bin Laden assassination went down. The more information that leaks out, the more he has to come back and change his story. Guess he’s been lying to us. It’s become so embarrassing that now the White House says there will be no further comments. Talk about open mouth insert foot.