Haverhill Grandmother Protects Granddaughter When Dogs Attack

By Diana Perez, WBZ-TV

HAVERHILL (CBS) — A Haverhill grandmother was just out for a walk when out of nowhere two dogs ran straight at a baby. The woman and her friend took the brunt of the attack.

Laurie Adams says the attack was quick but frightening. “They were just charging and chomping and chomping.”

Adams was passing a home on Western Avenue when they spotted the two German shepherds. “We saw the dogs coming at us. They were coming toward the baby.”

“They were running around us in circles and biting our legs, and then they started pulling our arms away from the carriage.”

WBZ-TV’s Diana Perez reports.

Adams says they were trying to get to her granddaughter, Avery. The dogs bit Adams’ right leg six times, leaving bruises and a gash.

“We were yelling help and just screaming at the top of our lungs,” says Laurie. “All I see is blood, a hunk of my flesh sitting on top of my sneaker. It was just horrifying.”

Luckily Avery wasn’t hurt in the attack; Adams says it was her and her friend’s quick thinking that saved her one-year-old grand daughter.

“They were running around us and biting us while we were protecting her. I put the hood up and protected her.”

The dogs were visiting the home on Western Ave. They weren’t on a leash or fenced in.

Laurie ended up in the emergency room and had to go back when her bites got infected. The April 15th attack is also keeping her inside these days, “I’m scared to death to go for a walk with my granddaughter because I’m afraid another dog might come out and bite me or attack her.”

Adams is suing the dogs’ owner, dog sitter and owner of the property. She’s also calling on Haverhill to impose steeper penalties for people who disobey its leash law and let their dogs roam loose.

Comments

1. HooDatIS? says:

GOD BLESS AND HER PRECIOUS GRAND BABY
    VISIT MY BLOG

1. Abhinav says:

Jason Segel is seuoirsly a nice, nice guy. Never met David Spade but he was always hella fun on everything he was in…

2. Joe D. says:

The dog sitter should be fired and charged with criminal negligence,

3. Helen says:

LIAR!!!!! The dogs don’t attack for no reason. The 911 call sounds so fake! I bet the baby wasn’t even present you just knew that using it would help you with your bs story!!!

4. LT says:

@Helen. Hello is anybody home? You’re tapped…

5. jon says:

Its irresponsible people like this that give all dogs a bad name. If you’re not going to take the time to train, exercise, and SOCIALIZE your dog then please recognize that while it may be friendly to you it hasn’t bonded with other people. And if you, as a dog owner, can’t do that just don’t get a dog.

6. Joey says:

Thank god these dogs were not pit bulls. They would not have let go! Pit bulls are the only breed known to kill off their own property/territory. Very brave grandma protecting the baby!

7. Brent says:

What the hell is wrong with you people? I smell a GOLD DIGGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Jamie says:

I agree with Helen and Brent! This woman is just looking to make a buck anywhere she can. I am a dog owner and lover and find this story very unrealistic. Dogs do not attack for no reason. WBZ should have done their due diligence and got the other side of the story. I am sure it is much different than the one we are hearing.

9. Dianne says:

I agree with Jon, if an animal isn’t socialized with other animals and people this is what happens. Unfortuanate but true. If the owners really care for their animals and their bank accounts they would get them into training immediately. Muzzles and restraining them is not the way to go…