Prosecutors: Driver Said ‘I Killed Her, I’m Drunk, Take Me To Jail’

SOMERVILLE (CBS/AP) – A Somerville man appeared in court on Monday to face charges in connection with a car crash that claimed the lives of two teenage girls.

State police say 21-year-old Kenneth Belew was at the wheel of a car that crashed in the pre-dawn hours Friday on the elevated portion of the McGrath Highway southbound over Washington Street.

WBZ-TV’s Sera Congi reports.

Belew faces numerous charges, including drunken driving, motor vehicle homicide and speeding in the crash.

He had five passengers. A 16-year-old Everett girl died at the scene, while a 17-year-old Somerville girl died later on Saturday. Their names were not made public. Belew and three others suffered minor injuries.

Police said the group had just come from a house party at which alcohol was served.

WBZ NewsRadio 1030’s Carl Stevens reports.

Prosecutors said right after the crash, Belew cried out to police at the scene, “I killed her, I’m drunk, take me to jail.”

Kim Moss, a parent, said Belew is her son’s best friend. She said the tragedy should send a message.

“These children need to know that drinking and driving is very dangerous. As we sat in the courtroom today, there were probably 6 or 7 people that were arrested for OUI, and they were one of the lucky ones,” said Moss.

The judge set bail at $5,000. If released, he’s ordered not to drink or drive and he must undergo screenings.

Belew has a criminal record, including past charges for assault and battery, operating with a suspended license and minor possessing alcohol.

(TM and © Copyright 2010 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2010 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Comments

1. Mark says:

$5000 bail, you have got to be kidding me!

2. emom says:

He admitted guilt, no bail, lock him up,, 2 teens died because he was stupid. and teens just want to have fun,,,, is this what you want… drinking never serves a purpose. never,,, it only ends in tradegy…. I feel for the families of the teens,,, I just wish other teens would see this is not worth the effort to drink… at no age…

1. Seth says:

Emom, glad your the judge, jury and executioner. This guy made a very bad mistake. But no one put a gun to all those other kids heads and forced them in the car. Don’t point the blame cause he was driving. Everyone else is a human being and RESPONSIBLE for their OWN safety.

1. emom says:

A bad mistake , is something you learn from in the first place ,,, A From what I have read,, this was no mistake and if so why repeat the same mistake. Its true they all made a mistake, sadly 2 will never have the chance to correct their mistakes…. this is bad, but a mistake hardly.. Drinking and driving never mix, its a deadly bad judgement.

2. Jay says:

HEY PAL WHAT YOU READ WAS WRONG I HAVE KNOWN MOST OF THESE KIDS A VERY LONG TIME…I WATCHED KENNY GROW UP RIGHT BEFORE MY EYES HE ISN’T A MONSTER OR A PUNK KID WHO WAS IN TROUBLE WITH THE LAW…..HE WAS A GOOD KID WHO MADE A VERY STUPID CHOICE….

3. Jay says:

HOW MANY OF YOU GOT SPEEDING TICKETS WHEN YOU FIRST GOT YOUR LICENSE…

4. VetTeacher says:

Have you though how you would feel if this looser hit you or killed your child?

5. Jay says:

There are plenty of punk kids in Somerville,Kenny isn’t one of them….if he was trust me I would be first one in line to fry his ass….

6. vee says:

That is a good comment

3. thor's hammer says:

what is with the crazy cheap bail these days? let’s name the judges, and if the criminal makes bail, they live under the judge’s roof. get one of those dog training collars that zaps a shock if he attempts to get beyond a very limited perimeter (say 6×6 feet). besides no driving, no drinking and drug/alcohol tests (make those 2 a day), no computer, no phone. the 2 young girls he murdered don’t have those privileges, why should he? long jail sentence. no mercy, no excuses, no forgiveness.justice for all the victims.

4. kmh2301 says:

Wow….. $5,000? Shameful!

5. Kristina says:

6. Kristina says:

Although 2 young girls died we have to see it as a matter of common sense on both of their parts. Kenny shouldn’t have drove under the influence and the 2 victims along with the other 2 passengers in the car shouldn’t have gotten in the car. This situation is very tragic and he will have to live with the guilt of killing these two girls. It was an accident and we’ve all made stupid decisions; just not ones that ended in murder.I’m not negating the fact nor am I sticking up for Kenny because he is responsible, I’m just saying let’s see it for its reality rather than casting him as a monster. My condolences go out to the families who lost these two angels

7. ci64 says:

Jail his a**! He’ll get whats coming to him in jail, he will wish he was dead…$5,000 bail – Court system should have made bail much higher… My prayers go out to these two girls families…

8. Petetm says:

Kristina
    …..It was an accident and we’ve all made stupid decisions; ….

Sorry Kristina, I’ve got to disagree with you there. What here was accidental, the drinking? The drinking and then driving? This isn’t his first foray into the criminal justice system so….. accident? I don’t think so.

9. ??????? says:

LISTEN I AM A FRIEND OF TWO GIRLS AND THE FAMILLY …..THE FAMILLY DOSENT WANT HIM IN THE JAIL EVERYBODY IN THE CAR WAS WRONG AND DRUNK AND ALL OF THEM KNEW WHAT THEY WHERE DOING IT SO ..THERE IS NO REASON OF JUST HIM BEING JUGDE AND GETING A SENTENCE HE IS A GOOD PERSON AND HE DESERVES A SECOND CHANCE…….

1. LoriB says:

The reality is he already had a record for underage drinking….he shouldn’t get bail period. He already had a 2nd chance….this time he killed people. He deserves to rot in jail….where he can’t do it again.

1. VetTeacher says:

Perfect response. That’s it in a nutshell.

2. Jay says:

You’re an idiot you can’t have a record for underage drinking your record gets wiped clean once you become an adult…..HE HAS NEVER BEEN IN TROUBLE WITH THE LAW UNTIL THIS WITH THE EXCEPTION OF A DRIVING VIOLATIONS….WHO IN HERE HAS NEVER HAD A PARKING OR SPEEDING TICKET OR WAITED AN EXTRA DAY TO GET THEIR CAR INSPECTED…

2. jeff says:

Its a sad sad thing, but all the kids in the car came from the same party so they all knew what was happening. your right. but, WOW look at all this hate from strangers. sorry for the loss of your friends.

3. Amigwyn says:

By the sounds of it he has already had a second chance. I don’t care if the girls’ parents want him in jail or not. I WANT him in jail!! I do not want myself or anyone in my family on the road while someone like him is out there. He made a stupid “mistake”. The kids were wrong as well. Two of them paid for their mistake with their life. HE can pay for HIS mistake in JAIL! He’s lucky. At least he has a chance to get out of jail and be productive in life. Those girls are never getting their “second chance”.

1. Jay says:

SOMEONE LIKE HIM….YOU HAVE NO CLUE WHO THIS KID IS…..

10. ENUFF says:

In Sweden you lose your license for life if your caught drinking and driving. It would save a lot of lives if we had the same here.

1. Shane says:

The problem with that is in the US if someone loses their license for DWI (or anything for that matter) they normally end up driving without one. All it means is that they no longer have insurance.

1. Jay says:

HE NEVER HAD A DUI…….HE WAS NEVER PULLED OVER AND CHARGED WITH DRIVING UNDER THE INFLUENCE….NOT ONCE

11. too many says:

We have laws and when laws are broken there are consequences. It’s unfortunate they all made a bad decision collectively. He will and must be punished whether or not the “families and friends” agree. He could have killed my son, he could have killed others, I for sure would not want to see him walk, good kid or not. He’ll do it again, he’s already proven he’s got issues with rules.

12. DStein says:

Hey, ???????, you say you’re a friend of these people? That everyone in the cars was wrong and drunk, but he shouldn’t be in jail? I think you’re overlooking that it wasn’t only the people in the car that were at risk Anyone driving on the road around this stinking drunk could’ve lost their lives too. $5,000 bail is too low. Should’ve been at least $50,000…..or no bail at all.

13. taxedout says:

If he gets a second chance I hope he will be driving You around!!! I’m surprised the bail was so high!!!!!

14. Cam says:

He was previously arrested for driving on a suspended license – and minor in possession of alcohol. He knew better…he simply did not care. Sadly, the loss of life may not even make any difference to him. The system is incredibly broken. $5,000 bond for the loss of two lives – Bond denied for the suspect in the McDonalds beating – where is the balance – where is the justice?

1. Mia says:

Bond should be denied for the Mc beating. Mean people bread mean little abusers, and the parents should be held accountable.

2. VetTeacher says:

The justice would start by removing that judge. They can get fired too. Fire a few and the rest might get the picture.

3. Jay says:

YOU ARE A MORON……HE WAS NEVER CHARGED WITH ANYTHING…..HE GOTS TICKETS….

15. R.I.P....MAYARA AND ISABELLA LOVE YOU BOTH FOREVER IN MY HEART says:

well you know what everyone has a way of think….. thats my away i dont want to think on this i am going to get a rest cause i have a reallly important FUNERAL !!! to attend tomorow so stay in peace all of you

16. KJB says:

The bail is ridiculous…..why didnt HE get 75,000?? as for the charges….yes…major deal..HOWEVER, chances are ALL occupants of the car were intoxicated, he just happened to be the one with the keys…..had a different occupant had their keys, same deal, different driver…..let’s be real…safety was on NONE of their minds.

17. jeff says:

I wonder how many of the people spewing hate at this kid have driven after drinking and just got lucky. If you have EVER EVEN ONCE driven after drinking then this could have been you and YOU GOT LUCKY, so get off this kids back, he’s got enough to deal with

18. emom says:

I wonder how many drive NEVER DRINK and drive and have had the misfortune of BEING HIT by a drunk driver.. No excuse for anyone that feels the need to drink and then get behind the wheel and drive.,…. After all all the liquor companies PROMOTE with their ads………….. “DONT DRINK AND DRIVE ” …… and also….. ” act responsibile when drinking” neither of these are used when folks drink and then drive…. no excuses……………….
    on another note, I have never drank alchohol and then drove…. I respect my life, my families life and others lives,,,,,, Take responibility in life…

1. Jay says:

so you have never gone out and had a glass of wine at dinner and the driven home….You have never been in a car with a person who has consumed even an ounce of beer…

19. ?????? says:

Seth and Jeff I completely agree, they were responsible for their own lives and it was a matter of poor choices, they were all drunk or high and the 2 girls WEREN’T wearing their seatbeats.. Is he responsible for that too? Let’s get real.. Perhaps they shouldn’t have been sitting on peoples laps and shouldve been seat belted.

20. ?????? says:

Emom take this into consideration the 2 victims were not only wearing NO seatbelt but were sitting on the other 2 passenger’s laps .. Is that kenny’s fault too? Let’s be real here no one seen themselves in danger and the 2 victims were offered another ride however they chose to go in kenny’s car. So get your facts straight !

21. emom says:

??????,, lets be real for a minute… When you have kids, ou buckle them up, tell them to buckle up as well as yourself,.. you tell your passengers to buckle up,,,By the way its the law,,,I have been gratefull for alot including my life,, I have had the misfortune of being hit by folks that DONT take responibility for how they drive.. I have seen accidents from the results of drunk drivers, Knew few that have been seriously hurt because of them,,,I value my life , my families and others.. They took extreme risks and paid for it… However it is the responsibility of the DRIVER to make sure all are seated… We are taught to stay safe while driving… I dont understand how goofing around in a car with a drunk behind the wheel is safe.., I have seen many things while driving and have to wonder what are they thinking when doing what they do… If we took responibility for our own actions and obeyed the rules, maybe these things would not happen. But I am not holding out hope…. And to get my facts straight,, if you drive drunk and no one seems to care about safety then all are at fault, but more so the drive….. we all know that… the passengers are not in control of the car while it is moving , they are only in control of themselves getting in the car.. DRUNK.

22. alsoamom says:

We are all human and we all make mistakes. Try putting yourself in this guy’s shoes. He is the one who is going to have to live with himself. Sometimes our own worst enemies can be ourselves. A friend of mine died in a drunk driving accident when his own cousin was the driver. They were close like brothers. The biggest punishment for these people is they have to live their lives knowing what they did. Knowing they caused the death of their friend or relative. How would you feel if you did something like that? I can’t imagine the guilt and shame these people will have to live with. Don’t sit there and judge this kid because he’s already judging himself.

23. emom says:

I have a ??? how many times should a drunk get second chances,…….. How many times shall we give them out to repeat drunk drivers….. How many shall be hurt or killed because of second chances given over and over again, Would anyone say that if it was their famiy.. … Drunk drivers that take no responsibility for their actions, have no respect for life of others,,, If they do , they would not drive……. lives lost never get a second chance.

24. taxedout says:

emom: here’s the deal. If either one of us hits the lottery, we split and get as far from this state as possible!!! You In???

1. emom says:

taxedout,, doesnt matter how far we go, there will always be a drunk that believes there is nothing wrong in getting behind the wheel and driving.. Sadly 2 more lives this week has lost their lives and so many still do not see beyond the problems… Stay safe and cherrish family.

25. Juninho Carreiro says:

R.I.P….MAYARA AND ISABELLA LOVE YOU BOTH FOREVER IN MY HEART

26. Jay says:

LETS BE COMPLETELY REAL HERE PEOPLE KID WAS AT A PARTY THAT WAS AROUND THE CORNER FROM HIS HOUSE WITH NO INTENTION OF DRIVING,HE HAD ALREADY LEFT AND RECIEVED A CALL FROM TWO OF HIS YOUNGER FRIENDS AND THEIR GIRLFRIENDS BEGGING HIM TO TAKE THEM MCDONALDS….KENNY MADE A BAD CHOICE AT THE BEHEST OF EVERYONE IN THAT CAR HE IS RESPONSIBLE BUT SO ARE THEY….HE AT ONE POINT EVEN TOLD THEM HE WAS TO INTOXICATED TO DRIVE BUT KIDS ARE KIDS AND THEY MAKE STUPID CHOICES….

IF NO ONE HAD DIED THIS WOULDNT EVEN BE A NEWS STORY AND NONE OF YOU WOULD CARE…KINDA SHOWS THAT THE AMERICAN PEOPLE ARE NOT IN TOUCH WITH REALITY….

27. Jay says:

HOW MANY OF YOU DRANK IN HIGH SCHOOL…

28. Jay says:

HELL HOW MANY OF YOU VOTED OR SUPPORTED TED KENNEDY???

I CALL YOU ENABLERS…

29. WOW says:

Jay i have no idea who you are but its good to see someone on here that knows what there talking about. im not saying what happened is right but he is no monster. i personally grew up with kenny and he is a good kid. i know for a FACT(i didnt read it somewhere) he feels terrible. all these people have no idea who he is. the news is full of bulls*** . also he isnt a loser. the people sitting protected by their computer screens talking out their a** are the losers. if you seen me or him on the street would you say these things….. probably not. again not saying its right but dont assume hes happy or is some alcoholic hell-bent psychopath set on causing pain and destuction because you have no idea.

1. Jay says:

I have known Kenny since before he was old enough to go to elementary school….I know who he is and what people are saying isn’t right…..

30. anonomous says:

Wow.$5,000 bail??? if that crashed happened in my state bail would be over $750,000!!!!!
    So Two lives are only worth $5,ooo? I wouldnt sell my kid for $999,999,999,999,999,000 let alone $5000!!!!!!!
    What a shame,but let this be a lesson drunk driving KILLS innocent peolpe

31. ddk says:

kenny chose to go to the party,as did the others,kenny drank till he was drunk,im sure the others did drink but i wasnt there so cant say for sure but come on you know teenagers at partys! kenny decided to leave and drive drunk,the others knowing Kenny was drunk also got in the car to leave!!as Kenny was driving DRUNK SPEEDING AND WEAVING DOWN THE ROAD and had the others lives in his,however they did leave and get in to the car also and any one coming in the other lane fourtunely there was not!!!!!! Kenny chose to DRIVE DRUNK he was the operator of the car…. he hit the wall…..as a result of Kennys actions and the actions of the others “as in get in the car” 2 people are DEAD and many friends and family members are now left with a life time sentance…..Kenny will have this to live with and haunt him and be reminded EVERYDAY of what he did that early morning…There is no PRICE you can put on a persons life.DRUNK DRIVING KILLS let this be a leson to all.

32. vee says:

My heartfelt condolences to the families of the 2 teenagers who lost their lives. Sometimes teenager just go along with the group, having fun and not realizing the real danger of the situation till its to late. I’m sure, they were just trying to get home. Kenny is already punished and if he didn’t learn before, hopefully he has really learned now and he has to live with that horror the rest of his life. My prayer are with all and their families.

33. anonomous says:

wow a drunk driver kills 2 people and has 5 thousand dollars bail? and some morons are sticking up for him saying hes not a monster? well your right he is not a monster…HE IS A DRUNK DRIVER who KILLED TWO people….call it what you want!!! facts are facts they dont lie or chose sides!!! there is blame to spread all around here but the bottom line is TWO people are DEAD because KENNY DROVE DRUNK……