Bill Would Require Drug Tests For Welfare Recipients

BOSTON (CBS) –  A Massachusetts lawmaker wants to study the possibility of making drug and alcohol testing a requirement for welfare recipients.

Representative Nick Boldyga of Southwick said the idea is to find those who actually need public assistance.

WBZ NewsRadio 1030’s Lana Jones reports.

“I think for far too long, we’re just enabling people by continuing to pay them if we know that they either have drug arrests in the past for possession, use, etc. We need to help them get back on their feet, get off their addiction, whatever it may be, drugs or alcohol, so they can be productive members of society and healthy,” said Rep. Boldyga.

Rep. Boldyga, at this point, only wants a commission to determine how much the testing, and susequent substance abuse treatment, would cost.

Comments

1. taxedout says:

Holy Cow, where did this guy come from??? This is Mass, it took forever just to get the firemen to take a drug test, do you think the addicts and the people in Cambridge will let something like this happen??? Now you got me worried about Obama’s auntie again!!!!!Don’t worry auntie the checks in the mail!!!!

1. dan says:

i am sure auntie obama is very well taken care of..as for cambridge.. they are all a bunch of wwwwwhhhhiiiinnnneeerrss.

2. Thomas Hood says:

I’ll support this when the state agrees to pay for substance abuse counceling and rehab for everyone who tests positive. Yeah, didn’t think so. This is just another way for rich white folks to degrade, humiliate and otherwise stick it to poor folks.

1. Just sayin says:

Why do the rich folks got to be white?

1. dan says:

IT IS WHY DO THE RICH FOLKS HAVE TO BE WHITE…NOT GOT TO BE WHITE

2. response says:

It is covered by most health insurance policies. If these people have Mass Health, the treatment is covered.
      this has nothing to do with being white, black or indifferent

3. Tanya Touché says:

why do poor folks have to do drugs and pop out babies?

3. Matt S says:

Thomas, why on earth should the state pay for substance abuse counseling and rehab? There are many outlets for people who WANT to get help. The purpose of this bill is not only to keep welfare recipients from wasting tax dollars to buy drugs, alcohol, and/or cigarettes (or other unnecessary items for that matter), but also to help them with their addictions. Giving them money isn’t going to help them kick their habits. Maybe they’ll even get clean and eventually find work and not need welfare.

4. Ed Hall says:

…another idiot who champions dogma over reality. Too lazy to think for himself!

5. Dan Houghton says:

I never though I would see the day when someone would come up with some real common sense and find out who is ripping off the tax payers of this State. We need to see what other idears Rep Boldyga has. Just maybe there is hope but I am sure someone will think it would be wrong to test. This State is going down the drain Just like Calf because of ALL the welfare, Wake up.
    Dan

6. Tom says:

Way to practical for this state! This is the same state who re-elected Barney “lets give mortgages to EVERYONE” Frank. Frank would never let this happen as it goes against all those who elected him…they must have been high…why else would they elect him?

1. Dan says:

DITTO…WELL DONE.. MAYBE BARNEY OR HIS BOYFRIEND SHOULD PAY FOR THE BILLS …..WE NEED TO WIPE THE SLATE CLEAN HERE …TOP TO BOTTOM

7. HooDatIS? says:

I APPLAUD HIM IF THE STATE DOES PASS THIS IT WORK WONDERS! IT WILL HAVE SOME CONSEQUENCES BUT WE GOT TO GET THINGS IN ORDER
    GOD BLESS U MR POLITICIAN http://ethicalfutures.wordpress.com/2011/04/26/sos-help-out-saint-louis-storm-victims-red-cross-taking-donations/
    I WAS A WELFARE BABY AND I KNOW IT HAS BENEFITS FOR THOSE WHO USE A LAUNCHING PAD TO BETTER DAYS BUT SOME OF US U KNOW WE …. I CANT EVEN EXPLAIN U KNOW WHAT I MEAN

8. buddy says:

This is perfect. Drig test and alcohol. I have pondered this for years. It has nothing to do with the working class yet the folks who aren’t and don;t want to work. Test them, penalize them when the baby making machines have no job, and continue to pump out child after child.

If these folks on the till test positive I got two words for them, Bye Bye. If they continue to pump out kid after kid while on the till I got two more words for you See Ya. Get

9. Matty Arp says:

Rich white folks???? I work therefore I can drink. If other people have to pay for me to live then I spend their money on essentials and essentials only. Oh and this “rich white guy” has horrible healthcare that I pay for myself, unfortunately my family doesn’t receive top notch mass health.

10. BOB says:

It’s about time. How do you afford drugs on welfare? Next someone can take a look at EBT cards. I tied of seeing people buy soda cupcakes and cigarettes with these cards. I know people who give them out in return for cash. I work for a living and i’m on a budget!!!

1. Jaimie says:

They don’t even have to sell their cards for cash, they can just walk up to an ATM and get the money. You can thank Deval Patrick for that genius idea. I agree though, EBT needs to be treated like WIC which is a wonderful program which controls what kind of foods you can purchase! No more cheetos soda and butts for the needy.

11. Bethany says:

Now this makes sense! Both my husband and I who work take drug tests for our employers. And we have to actually work to get a check. Obviously if you are not doing drugs you have nothing to worry about, but if you are then why should taxes go to paying for the drugs? Doesn’t that make us enablers???

12. emom says:

WAIT how does people on welfare afford drugs and booze,,,, really…… they work getting paid under the table … how else are they driving around in expensive cars, wear expensive clothes and jewlery,, salvation army does not sell all that… Oh an no I am not on welfare,,,, but sure knew a few that abused the system and had what we all wish we had… test them, good luck,,,,

1. can believe says:

The same way the people living in sibsidized housing “the projects” can afford Cadillac Escalades

1. emom says:

And dont forget all the bling bling,,,,, yeah maybe these folks need a looksy,, since its been like this for years, oh wait DECADES,,,, and those that are truely in need of assistance cant get it… the honest folks struggle while the cheaters skate by and get even more from the taxpayers of this wonderful state,, being sarcastic here.

13. RUKiddingMe says:

Sounds good to me!

14. canbelieve says:

For once this pathetic state might do something that amkes sense, of course seeing it proposed is all together than doing it

15. Dianne says:

I agree. They should also look at food stamps recipiants. There is so much fraud.. so much double billing and waste. I think anyone who needs temporary help should get it but not forever…

16. Check it out says:

A good way to stop wasting tax dollars if your so worried about it Nick Boldyga maybe we should check the citizenship of these people, before we go throwing our tax dollars on people who dont belong here. I go to school with some non citizens who scoop up finiacial aide and welfare, @ taxed out i totally agree with you on the fireman testing, that did take awhile. We are going to worry about people on welfare when there are professionals out there putting their lives and others at risk everyday and get paid over 60,000 dollars a year and no testing requirements for this? That makes no sense our budget is SMALL enough already, FIX THE ROADS!!!!!

17. Denise says:

Please you’ll eliminate a way of life for some! Although I totally agree with the testing – I don’t believe it will ever happen! and the fall out will be more home break ins etc… Maybe if they don’t allow “new” welfare lifers to sign up so easily they can change it going forward. But Good Luck!

and I really don’t believe that someone that never contributed to social security should be benfiting from it either!

18. dan says:

welfare was started by pres john f kennedy back in 60,s. it was supposed to help immigration people start a new life here..but over the years it has been raped by the system

19. Check it out says:

WE NEED TO HELP OUR OWN CITIZENS NOW NOT IMMIGRANTS!! Our country and state is falling to the wayside!

20. Denise says:

Pretty soon we’ll qualify for all the “perks” because if we aren’t we’re very close to becoming the minority in the good ol USA! Actually this country isn’t owned by American/US People and Companies anymore. Why? Because we’re now trying to make ends meet and still loosing our houses, jobs etc… and those w/ the $$ (usually supplied by our government – for not doing anything) are now buying everything up! Why can’t we get our own affairs in order and then decide to go help every other country when they need it… Charity starts at home!

21. tank says:

require drug testing for welfare!

22. Tanya Touché says:

why should people be drug tested to get a job that helps pay for welfare, but the ones on welfare don’t have to be?

23. Tracy says:

Definitely yes! I work 40hrs a week and I can’t afford health insurance. I’m a small business owner and all my money goes to people who smoke it, snort it or put it in their arm. Leave the welfare to the people who really need and deserve it!

24. Megan V says:

I think that if I have to take a drug test to get a job then there DEFINITELY should be a drug test to get any kind of money from tax payers. I unfortunately know of a few people who have drug addictions and are on welfare, it SICKENS me!!!!