1 Killed, 1 Hurt After Falling Out Of Tour Bus On Route 2

SHIRLEY (CBS) – A tour bus was on its way back to Gardner, returning from a trip to the Red Hook Brewery in New Hampshire, when two passengers fell out of the bathroom window and onto Route 2 in Shirley on Saturday night.

Thomas Johnson of Gardner was killed while Seth Davis of Winchendon was critically injured.

WBZ-TV’s Paul Burton reports.

State Police Sgt. Matt Murray said a trooper in the area discovered the victims on the highway.

tomjohnson 1 Killed, 1 Hurt After Falling Out Of Tour Bus On Route 2

Tom Johnson was killed in the accident.

“Two men lying in the breakdown lane in this area,” said Sgt. Murray. “He called for additional resources. Nearly simultaneously, a bus driver for Colonial Tours in Boston contacted the state police and reported that someone had fallen out of his bus.”

WBZ NewsRadio 1030’s Kim Tunnicliffe reports.

Sgt. Murray said alcohol was believed to have been a contributing factor.

“There was some form of altercation, whether it was just a low-level friendly altercation, or it was a full-blown violent altercation, that is something that the investigators are attempting to determine,” said Sgt. Murray.

Comments

1. Cathi Runkal-Doherty says:

damn!!!!!-seat belts in the bathroom needed here!

2. Lucy says:

Alcohol a contributing factor? They were getting back from a brewery tour. Duh.

Hope the fight was worth the loss of life and critical injury.

1. Danielle says:

there was no fight, they were thrown into the bathroom and went through the window as the bus was moving.

3. p2 says:

Isn’t beer wonderful? It makes people act so mature. Especially when they drink a lot of it.

4. emom says:

well now why was there a window BIG ENOUGH for two grown men to go or get thru, was it a full lenght window, and further more what where they doing together that nobody hear them. are the bathrooms even that big on a bus., are they not like that of an airplane,… wow, and drunk as well. glad I do not ever drink and go out , rather be safe that totally stupid. People never learn and when they do its to late.

5. Cynic says:

This fighting over who got in the Bathroom first has got to stop….

1. Danielle says:

Do you think that is funny?? Really?!? Why don’t you take a second and think about how you’d feel about this comment if it was someone you knew and loved. Use your head!!

1. Matt says:

It was funny. No great loss hear, just Darwin at work again.

2. Danielle says:

Seeing how you just showed your level of intelligence in your ignorant comment I can see why that would be funny to you. My 10 yr old is more mature then you will ever be and he certainly knows the difference between “hear” & “here” I believe he learned that in the 1st grade. Work on that

3. Danielle says:

another Danielle fighting for what’s right ;-) This is just unbelievable what people are posting, I can’t believe the disrespect. I have to stop reading.

4. Danielle says:

Danielle don’t let them bother you, you can’t fix nor change ignorant people unfortunately they are everywhere.

5. Petetm says:

Hey Matt, no great loss “hear?” Lack of education at work again.

6. Roy says:

People like this do not really care about the issue, if it is funny or what. They are trolls looking to elicit the reaction you gave. Please just ignore the trolls instead of feeding them what they thrive on, your outrage and attention.

6. Dan D says:

You didnt know Tom. You are not good people. He was a great guy and yes, may have been horsing around, but did NOT deserve this. Grow up.

1. Danielle says:

Well said!!

7. 1608 says:

WILL SOMEONE TELL ME HOW THIS CAN HAPPEN PLEASE?

1. danielle says:

they got tossed into the bathroom while the bus was moving, the door opens inward, and then thrown up against the emergency window, which somehow opened up and they fell out. It was an accident, there was no fight.

8. Lucy says:

Oh please – kids – you must behave on the bus or suffer the consequences.

Stupidity kills. It’s the ones left behind that suffer.

Awful. Give me a break – stupid is as stupid does. No excuses. Sit down on the bus. What fight is worth dying over? Any, really?

1. 01440 says:

Lack of better judgement is what caused this fatality,

STUPIDITY are those who sit and judge others, and those who comment on subjects they did not witness firsthand!

2. Danielle says:

they were sitting down, you don’t know what you are talking about,.. You were not there, nor do you know anything about this situation other than what you just read, which happens to not even be correct information.

9. Lucy says:

People die at home too – from accidents. Staying home doesn’t mean that you will be safe from harm.

Smarts and intelligence are the only things that will improve your chances of success and survival in this life. I wish all well always btw.

10. Lucy says:

Did anyone say that this unfortunate man deserved to die? I don’t think so.

That’s horrible! Did he need to die? Of course not. Should he have died? No but he did.

Terrible. It’s likely not what anyone thinks either. It rarely is, if ever.

11. 1608 says:

Thank u Lucy 4 not.
    This still dosen’t tell me how 2 men can fall out of a restroom window of a DAMN bus. Stay off da kool-aid.

12. Lucy says:

2 men fighting or horsing around – end up against the window – how strong is a window? Obviously not strong to handle two men likely pressed up against it and in some kind of altercation – playing or not – neither with the sense to stop before it’s too late.

Very sad. Very stupid. — I just hope others will learn but the ones that need to learn probably won’t. That’s tragic.

1. 1608 says:

B 4 I go. My grand come first u know. Lucy please think. I’ve not been on a bus n yrs. but if one thing I do know, u can’t play & have 2 ppl fall out of a window that is higher than u

13. 1608 says:

Thank you J. Love but do think that is true? 2 men falling out of a window maybe neck high. I’ve not been on that kind of bus [inter state] 4 years. So I don’t know how high the window r.

14. Eli says:

J. Love,

I was thinking that exact same thing as I was reading the comments. How could any investigator know that it was an altercation after such a short period of time before all interviews w/ witnesses are complete.

15. igotskillz says:

He is free now. The rage in him will leave his spirit soon. He is happier than he could remember. Please do not be harsh with the others. He put a bad fire in a place where we can all change it.

16. rick says:

Route 2 in Shirley; you can’t be serious. I am serious and don’t call me Shirley!

17. Lucy says:

How tall were these guys? Are the bathrooms that big that they can fit 2 people in there? I have been on a bus in recent years. I have never been in the bathroom on a bus. I don’t understand why 2 men would be in a bathroom together – joking around. — I still maintain that it was the result of stupidity. — Sit down on a bus.

Somehow they fell through the window – bizarre – they were not behaving like adults – it killed one of them – – terrible – didn’t have to happen – it did – now family and friends have to pick up the pieces. Not good.

I was thinking – don’t know what the bus bathroom windows look like – obviously big enough to fit 2 grown men through it – weird.

Sit down on a bus and behave. — fooling around is rude and obnoxious – gets you killed – terrible. They weren’t thinking – clearly. Alcohol was probably the overriding factor but clearly not so bright either – alcohol or not.

IDK – feel for the family and friends – hope it doesn’t happen again.

18. Lucy says:

Were the bus designers supposed to plan for 2 drunk idiots that might be fooling around or fighting that could fall through the window or have a written warning there – fooling around may result in bodily injury or death?

Some things should be obvious.

We have crazy warning labels – don’t use hair dryer in shower or while asleep.

The dead deserve respect as do the families.

Stupid is as stupid does. We all do stupid things from time to time and usually it doesn’t kill us.

19. Michelle says:

U guys r ridiculous! U were not on the bus you do not know what happened! Your comments are disgusting! My heart and thoughts go out to the families involved in this horrible, unfortunate, tragic accident. RIP Tom, and hopes for Seth to not only recover physically but also emotionally from this. Please for the sake of the families of these men keep your mindless nasty comments to yourself!

1. Mary says:

Well said Michelle. My sympathy to all the family and friends of Tom Johnson and wishes for a full recovery for Seth Davis.

1. stacey says:

Thank you Michelle!!!!!!!

20. Kate says:

Why is there even a window in the bathroom?

So sad for the families involved.

1. danielle says:

it was an emergency window

21. emom says:

thats what I said earlier, and how low was this window, really give us a break, most of the bathrooms are desinged for ONE persosn, not 2 ,, what in world and further more WHY> if there was a fight why was the bus moving, next why wasnt someone intervining,l really,, good people dont try to kill other people no matter the reason or how p*ssed they are at someone,, that is just stupid and cruel. good people indeed, like thats never been said ….. No reason to KILL someone or be killed or even fight to PROVE A POINT. sad either way such a huge waste

22. Danielle says:

People shouldn’t believe everything they read. There was no fight, this was an accident. I know people that were on the bus and were sitting with this young man when he was thrown into the bathroom and went through the window. He was not pushed, there was no fight, it was just an accident. And you people should show some respect to the people involved.

23. Danielle says:

I don’t know where the hell you got your info, but that is absolutely not true. I can’t believe you would even post such a thing.

24. Danielle says:

This was an accident, there was no fight, and your comment is disgusting. Show some respect for the dead and those that loved him

25. Danielle says:

PLEASE! Show some respect! This was a tragic accident, and even if it wasn’t you should show some respect for the dead and the family of this young man. How would you feel reading these kind of comments on here about someone you loved? I am so disgusted right now that people would actually post such things on here, when they know nothing of this situation other than what they just read in the article. And some of the information isn’t correct anyway. This was an accident, it had nothing to do with the fact that they had been drinking and they were not fighting. I personally know many people that were on this bus, and my heart goes out to them. They had to see these 2 young men fly out a window and see one dead on the ground. Think before you speak, people, have some class and respect!

26. Danielle says:

were you there to know they were acting irresponsibly? they were thrown into the bathroom and fell out of the window, you jacka$$. You don’t even know what you are talking about, and did you ever consider the fact that this young mans parents could be reading this? Have you ever lost a loved one? Show some respect, your comment is disgusting

27. geoff says:

Hey thats good Danielle when you say “even if it wasn’t an accident?” You can’t have it both ways….The world is probably now a safer place for those that travel on a tour bus….

1. Danielle says:

I said that because either way it is extremely disrespectful what people are posting on here, think of the family of this young man. It was an accident. But no matter what, you really think it is appropriate to say such things? Think of if this was someone that you loved.

28. Danielle says:

they got thrown into it the bathroom and fell up against the window which opened up on them, you moron! Those were my friends involved, you are the one who needs to get a clue. I hope someday you suffer such a tradgedy and have to read comments like what you just posted

29. Danielle says:

I can’t even read any more, or respond any more. I am so upset right now. I personally know the majority of the people that were on this bus, and it is just disgusting to see how people can comment like this when a young man is dead. You people seriously need some help if your heart is that black. I hope all of you that have said that this young man deserved to die, because you THINK it was his fault, go through the loss of someone that you love and have to listen to people say such evil things. Because you are all just that – EVIL. God help you all. This was a tragic accident, it was no ones fault. They were thrown into the bathroom and up against the window, which opened and they fell out. Just a tragic accident. My prayers and thoughts are with all of my friends and the family of Tom and Seth. The people that matter know the truth. I pray for everyone involved to find peace after this tragic accident.

30. Michelle says:

Danielle I agree with you 100%! You people r ridiculous and disgusting human beings! You base your opinions on things that have been written in a way to get your attention. Bravo for you showing you have no class or morals! You have no idea what happened or what you are spewing off at the mouth about with no regard for the family members of the people involved! You are truly disgusting and continue to show it with your ignorant comments. Danielle there is no need to waste your time and thoughts on the pathetic few who feel the need to spread their nastiness. sadly one day the tables will b turned and they will either be reading about their loved ones or have other disgusting people talking about themselves in a way like this and they will feel differently or they are so ignorant they won’t! Either way those who know the ones involved know the truth and that is all that matters!

31. danielle says:

Thank you Michelle. that’s right, Karma is a b$$$$. What goes around comes around. It just makes me so mad though. I found out this morning and spend most of the day talking to some of the people that were actually on the bus. It’s so sad. And I personally have experienced some very traumatic things in my life recently, and I know all to well the emotions these people are going through. I try to have faith in humanity, but some people are just not good people, and that’s the way it is. But I’m glad there are a couple of people on here fighting for what is right, because I can’t imagine being the mother of this young man and having to read that he “deserved to die” because he had been drinking and was having a good time. I was not there, and I can not be positive, but it is my understanding that Tom was seated at the time that he was tossed up against the bathroom door, which opened, he fell up against the window and for some reason it opened and he fell out. It’s so tragic, and I personally know the person that was sitting right next to him when it happened. I can’t imagine watching your friend fall out of a window of a moving bus. It’s just so terrible. Thanks for your kind words. ( sorry if there are multiple posts of this, my computer is messing up, but I wanted to get back to you)

32. Chip Gelmini says:

Is it just me, or was the drop down add for the Limo Bus service add ironic to be right above this story on your web page? OOPS!

33. Kate says:

There has to be more to the story – for them to get thrown into the bathroom and out the window, the bus would have had to either violently accelerated (and I’m not sure a bus engine is capable of accelerating that fast) or it would have to have been hit. There had to have been some sort of horseplay going on or something.

But whatever really happened, saying that either of these kids deserved to die or get injured is moronic. Alcohol + probable bad judgment should not equate to a death sentence. Especially when these guys seem to have had the good sense to take a bus, knowing they’d be drinking, instead of getting behind the wheel themselves.

1. danielle says:

It is my understanding that the bus was making a turn, and they were in the back of the bus. Which means, if they were tossed up against the bathroom door, which opened, and the bus continued to turn, then the force of the bus turning pushed them up against the window, which happened to open up on them. If you have ever sat in the back of a bus and been on the highway while it makes a turn, you should be able to understand how the force can push you in one direction very quickly. I was told that this young man was seated and then in just a few seconds he was pushed into the bathroom and out the window from the force. I’m sure they were goofing around and having a good time, but that doesn’t mean that what happened was their fault, or like you said, that he deserved it. It’s possible the bus was not even speeding it was just the force of the movement that pushed them into the bathroom. Thank you for having some class and respect in your comment.

34. Michelle says:

I heard about this at work this morning and spent the day getting what information I could. I know Seth as well as others on the bus and I can not imagine what his wife must of gone and is still going through not to mention family and all involved. It sucks that miserable, spineless, hateful a$$holes have nothing better to entertain themselves with it is sad and pathetic! The people who know and care about these men are the only opinions that matter. Thank you for also standing up for what is right and your heartfelt concern! I’m sure their families and friends appreciate it.

1. danielle says:

well, they were all there for me recently when I went through a tragic event. I wouldn’t have emotionally gotten through it without the support of my friends. Just returning the favor and doing what is right anyway ;-)

35. Donald Mayfield says:

I knew Tom Johnson. We served in the USMC together at Wpns Bn. Parris Island, SC, Tom got there in 98 and I left in 99. Johnson was a great guy, it really disturbs me to see the people on here with such lack of compassion or respect for a Marine who served his country. All who post such garbage will reap what they sew, count on that.

36. madrag says:

A life ended in a tragic way… How this event leaves room for opinions is totally out of my understanding. Tom Johnson was a marine… He was a person that brought joy to the people around him… He leaves only good memories. Judgments, opinions and commentaries will not bring him back… but hurt his loved ones even more (If possible). REST IN PEACE TOM JOHNSON… Semper fi.

37. HANK says:

The cabin de-pressurized and they were sucked out.

38. p2 says:

My understanding is that the bus passengers had been on a 12-hour pub crawl in Portsmouth, NH. The participants deserve credit for arranging for a professional bus driver to take them home. However, participating in a 12-hour pub crawl still has risks. And this tragedy is an example of such risks. I hope that there is a thorough investigation of this tragedy, because the details of the story don’t add up no matter whose version you hear.

39. Sue M says:

This is awful and the comments are worse. I wish there were some real facts reported to form intelligent opinions on instead of moronic statements from insensitive idiots.

40. Mel says:

Danielle, is it even worth it to repeat yourself? Your just upsetting yourself more. Why bother arguing over it. The facts will be out soon enough and they can read it from officials. No reason to keep working yourself up over something you have no control over. People are insensitive and some thrive on getting people worked up

41. TiaMaria says:

Things never change… :)

42. Lee says:

I can see one man falling out if he got pushed. But two? Grown men at that. It doesn’t make sense? They had to be holding on to each other. The truth will come out. But they had to be holding on to each other which makes it even more bizarre. Tragedy all in all noone wins here.

43. ellbee says:

Danielle,

There is a difference between ‘then’ and ‘than’ too. Just saying…

1. Danielle says:

It’s not the same Danielle Einstein…just saying…

44. Danielle says:

45. Danielle says:

I am very glad to see some of the negative comments have been removed from this article. My heart just aches for all involved. This was such a terrible accident after a day of fun, and trying to do things right by taking a bus instead of driving. It’s understandable that everyone wants to know exactly what happened, but no one deserves to die because they were goofing around and having a good time. No one knows exactly what happened other than the people that were there, and it really doesn’t matter how it happened. It happened, can’t change that fact. What matters right now is there is still one person in the hospital and a ton of grieving people that need love and support right now. It was such a traumatic event and they are all still very much in shock. Please, if you are going to leave comments, show some respect for the people that had to witness this accident and for Tom’s family. It’s very possible they will be reading, and they have suffered enough.

46. Cinque says:

Danielle, get away from the computer for awhile and get a life!

1. danielle says:

these were my friends involved, why don’t you get a life and grow up

47. Fact_finder says:

Danielle, wishing great tragedy on people is no better than what’s going on here. This is the beauty of “commentary” – commentators are not the jounalist, not bound by facts, and can say anything they want, nice or not. I don’t think either of these men should be personally maligned, totally agree. However, you have said alot of things that may be pushing people’s buttons. I’m sympathetic no matter what happened – but the things you are asserting make no sense. It’s not reasonable to think that the bus took such a hard turn that two people were thrown out the window, during just the ordinary course of riding the bus, and no other passengers reportedly fell or were injured? If these “sharp turns” were at all routine, this would not be the first such incident of its kind, and the bus driver would be facing negligence charges. The police themselves, after investigating, state that there was an altercation between the two men. No judgment from me, I don’t care what they were doing, it doesn’t diminish the tragedy – but if you feel so strongly that you know the real story, you should contact the police. Their investigation shows something different than what you state. I respect Tom; I respect the loss his family and friends have suffered, you included. The truth will come forth soon enough.

1. Danielle says:

the other comments were deleted, so you are only seeing my comments to some horrible things that were posted last night. Unfortunetly, they didn’t just delete mine as well. And I don’t know how to take mine down. But some of the comments were just nasty. What I was saying was that it appears the bus was turning at the time they fell into the bathroom. If you read the article in the Sentinal you will see that they had gotten to an exit. They were fooling around, but there was no fight. Horseplay was involved, but there was nothing malicious going on. Weather they were standing or sitting, I just don’t know for sure, but it sounded to me by statements from someone there that they were actually still seated at the time they fell against the bathroom. they were pushed up against the door, fell through into the bathroom and up against the window, and it sounds like the bus was turning at the time. Maybe the window was not secure and that’s why they fell out. I don’t know, all I know is some of the comments last night were extremely upsetting, and uncalled for no matter what the situation. I know the majority of the people involved, had just seen most of them the night before, so this has just been terrible to deal with.

2. Stacey says:

If you READ the most recent articles and HEAR interviews with WHO was on the bus you will see there WAS NO altercation…that was assumed at the time but has been shown as NOT what happened

48. rick says:

What happened to the third guy who was sitting on the john when all this went down?

49. Steven says:

Were you people all born yesterday? Hello? 2 men in a bus bathroom, what DO you think they were doing? Try having sex and they fell out they friggin window. I can’t believe no one figured this out.