Local

Court Throws Out NH Man’s Suit Against Health Care Overhaul

By Holly Ramer, Associated Press
View Comments

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — A federal court in New Hampshire has thrown out a Nashua man’s lawsuit challenging the constitutionality of the government’s health care overhaul.

WBZ NewsRadio 1030’s Gregg Jensen reports

Eighty-year-old Harold Peterson sued President Barack Obama and Congress last year objecting mainly to the law’s requirement that nearly all Americans carry health insurance.

While similar lawsuits have been filed around the country, the U.S. District Court in Concord says Peterson’s case appears to have been the first brought by a Medicare recipient. It dismissed the case Wednesday, saying he lacks standing to sue because his Medicare coverage automatically satisfies the law’s health insurance mandate.

Peterson said Friday that he disagrees with that reasoning because the law could end up reducing Medicare benefits. He says he’s tired of lawmakers ignoring the Constitution.

(© Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 2,529 other followers