Officials: Low Levels Of Radiation From Japan Found In Mass. Rainwater Sample

BOSTON (CBS) – Low concentrations of radioiodine likely associated with the nuclear power plant issues in Japan were found in a sample of precipitation, state health officials announced on Sunday.

The precipitation sample containing radioiodine-131 (I-131) was taken in the past week, and more than 100 locations across the U.S., including in California, Pennsylvania, and Washington have also reported small concentrations of radiation.

WBZ NewsRadio 1030’s Doug Cope reports.

State health officials said there was no health impact to the state drinking water.

“The drinking water supply in Massachusetts is unaffected by this short-term, slight elevation in radiation. However, we will carefully monitor the drinking water as we exercise an abundance of caution,” said DPH Commissioner John Auerbach.

No detectable levels of radiation were found in the air in Massachusetts.

Rep. Ed Markey, a senior member of the House Energy and Commerce Committee, released a statement regarding the discovery of small radiation levels:

“The nuclear meltdown in Japan should serve as a wake-up call to us all. I do not believe the levels of radioactive fallout found in Massachusetts rainwater are currently any cause for alarm. However, I am alarmed that my 2002 law to distribute potassium iodide, which protects against high levels of just this sort of fallout, to people living within 20 miles of nuclear power plants has not yet been implemented. As a result, in Massachusetts potassium iodide is only being made available to those living within a 10-mile radius of a nuclear power plant. What is happening in Japan right now is a clear warning to us that accidents can and do happen at nuclear plants, and our government needs to do more to protect the public from the risks.”

Also See: EPA Information on Iodine-131

Comments

1. Chicken Little says:

The sky is falling, The sky is falling. The sky is falling, The sky is falling.The sky is falling, The sky is falling.The sky is falling, The sky is falling.The sky is falling, The sky is falling.The sky is falling, The sky is falling.The sky is falling, The sky is falling.The sky is falling, The sky is falling.The sky is falling, The sky is falling.

2. emom says:

I wonder how much low level of radiation is in the air and soil before this disaster, We alwasy hear that the earth has some of the dangerous materials we should not be exposed too. So I wonder if radiation is or has been in the soil which leads to the water and into us. With man-made materials over the decades I have to wonder further if this is truely the reason for the majority of illnesses. When will we be told the truth or will it become to late for most.

1. Bahstan11 says:

I mean life expectancy is way up and children born now are all expected to average 100 years before death so were obviously doing some things right. You’re absolutely right though this could have possibly something to do with the rise of cancer in humans etc. But with success comes some failures. Heads up and keep pushing forward

3. Edward A Quintal says:

We will soon not need energy saving lightbulbs as we shall see each other more easily in the dark.

4. mags says:

i dont believe this commie…there are always trace amounts of radiation…these idiots want us back to the stone age…

5. emom says:

STONE AGE, UUGGGGGG,, well I wonder how long it would take for some weird looking creature to emerge from tokyo harbor, is it possible this is how….. nah ,, we might see talking fish instead … Oh well, lets hope we dont glow in the dark , How are we to get any sleep….. if All we see is glowing people…. I mean that green glow will be bright………….

6. Susan M says:

Drill baby drill. Until someone comes up with a more reasonable way to supply us with energy, oil is the answer.

7. emom says:

8. emom says:

ah oil, gas, what about solar and wind, clen energy and no by products, so much better if congress will only see past their selfishness and greedy ways. By the way has it ever occured to some that there has been radiation in our air for decades, we have 2 power plants near us plus there has been to failed power plants that had disasters,, I mean couldnt it be possible that they are still leaking and its circling the earth,,, How do we know how safe they are at the moment,,,does anyone know how many nuclear power plants are in the world and right here in the USA,,, I would be very curios

9. Chicken Little says:

I think I’m g rowing an extra finger. Wait, I can see behind me now.

10. emom says:

wait when did gerbils drive, I wonder could those commercials be showing things to come. could it be.