BOSTON (CBS) – Here are a few tidbits from the past week in Boston sports.
– The Red Sox set their starting rotation for the start of the 2011 season, which is now less than two weeks away! Jon Lester gets the season opener, followed by John Lackey, Clay Buchholz, Josh Beckett and Daisuke Matsuzaka. Now Terry Francona just needs to figure out who is in, and out, of the bullpen.
– The Bruins have lost five of their last six as they head towards the NHL playoffs. They are still a three-seed in the Eastern Conference thanks to their lead in the Northeast Division. The B’s continue to struggle on the power play, going one for their last 16. Milan Lucic told 98.5 The Sports Hub’s Gresh and Zo that Claude Julien shouldn’t be the only one catching heat for the team’s recent struggles.
– The Celtics are also slumping, dropping four of their last six. They sit a half-game behind the Chicago Bulls for the top seed in the Eastern Conference. The good news is Delonte West has returned, and Shaq is now traveling with the team on their current road trip. The Big Diesel could return to the court as early as the middle of next week.
After the team’s 92-80 win over the Pacers on Wednesday, Head Coach Doc Rivers sang praise for Captain Paul Pierce, who some around the NBA do not see as a very athletic player.
Doc Talks About Paul Pierce’s Athleticism
– The NFL is in the middle of a lockout, but former Patriot Jarvis Green stopped by 98.5 The Sports Hub’s Toucher and Rich Thursday morning. One of the most interesting topics they covered was what the defensive end couldn’t do with the Patriots in regards to media and endorsements. Check out the full interview here.
Jarvis Green Talks About Restrictions With The Pats With Toucher & Rich
– The professionals are not the only ones in action this weekend. Here is the schedule for all the High School Championships being held on Saturday and Sunday. Good luck to all the kids!
– If you haven’t already, check out Mayhem Live during all the NCAA basketball games. It is an live, interactive online show for all the college hoops fanatics.
– In college hockey, Boston College will play Merrimack in the Hockey East championship Saturday night. The college hockey selection show is on Sunday, so NCAA fans will have another bracket to fill out.
– There’s another all-star lineup slated for Sports Final on WBZ-TV Sunday night at 11:35 p.m. Cedric Maxwell will talk about the Celtics road trip, Bob Beers will chat about the Bruins power play woes and Steve DeOssie breaks down the NFL Lockout.
– Be sure to check out our Photos of the Week. Shaq may not be playing, but he is keeping busy with a bunch of community events.