HANOVER (CBS) — Three teenagers are charged with vandalizing the brand new Hanover High School. The school isn’t even open yet, but police say the teens did $50,000 worth of damage.
All of the teens are 15 years old; two of them are from Hanover, the other is from Pembroke. They are facing felony charges including breaking and entering at night.
WBZ-TV’s Sera Congi reports
Officials say the teens broke into the school last week and spray painted the newly tiled walls and poured concrete and adhesives down toilets.
“It’s lost time and it puts a dark cloud on things. Instead of moving forward we’re trying to go back cleanup and start fresh,” said Wayne Wendell of Callahan Inc.
WBZ NewsRadio 1030′s Carl Stevens reports
The damage was first reported to police Thursday, but two of the three teens returned Saturday and footprints in the snow led a patrolman to check inside the building. Police tracked down the third teen.
“They were caught in the act,” said Lt. Robert Heywood of Hanover Police. “They tried to hide and were quickly discovered in the school.”
The community has been working on the project for almost a decade and the building has been under construction for a year.
The school is still expected to open in September. The construction company is now considering extra security.
The construction company’s insurance will pay for the repairs.