WESTFIELD (AP) – A husband and wife in their 80s have been killed in a Westfield house fire that authorities say likely was caused by an electrical failure.
Firefighters found 84-year-old Gladys Anderson and 82-year-old Douglas Anderson inside their burning home Thursday afternoon. They were pronounced dead at a hospital. Police say the cause appears to be smoke inhalation, but autopsies are being conducted.
State Fire Marshal Stephen Coan said Friday an investigation by his office and the Westfield fire department found an electrical problem likely started the fire in a first-floor bedroom. Coan also said there were no working smoke alarms on the first or second floors of the house.
(© Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)