JetBlue Planes Struck By Lightning While Arriving At Logan

BOSTON (CBS) – JetBlue Flight 442 from Tampa, Florida and Flight 1328 from Baltimore, Maryland were both struck by lightning while arriving at Logan Airport Friday night, according to airline officials.

Sources said there was smoke in Flight 442’s cockpit after the strike.

“It was starting to land I guess, and we heard one pop from outside and saw a really big flash of light. I mean, it looked like lightning, but we weren’t sure what it is, if it was something in the plane or something coming from outside the plane. ,” said Amy Rubin, a passenger.

WBZ-TV’s Beth Germano reports.

Both planes landed safely without incident.

“It just filled the plane with light…and it was just like a huge bolt of lightning,” said Bill Ginn, a passenger. “It was like an explosion.”

Crews on the ground were checking the planes out after the landing.

No injuries were reported.

Comments

1. pauligirl48 says:

WOw,,Im glad everyone is safe! Kudos to the pilots for landing safely!

1. ryan says:

i was on that plane
      ive never been so scared in my life on a plane
      thank you to the pilots who got us down safely.

2. J Miller says:

Amazing! Was it really loud? Were passengers instantly aware that it was lightning?

3. Margie says:

We were on BA flight 239 from London to Logan last night and were hit by lightning too so it wasn’t just the 2 jet blues!

1. murmurer says:

we were too, wonder why this hasn’t been mentioned in the many articles about the JetBlue planes…?

4. Roma says:

An amazing landing by the Captain, kudos to him!

5. Capt Tom Bunn says:

Every airliner is hit by lightning – on average – once a year. No problem. If you need tips on dealing with flying, get the tips at http://www.fearofflying.com/resources/freehelp.shtml

6. Cynic says:

Even after 6 years in the Air Force I have never understood how a Plane that isn’t grounded could attract lightning… This may be a good question for Dr.Knowledge.

1. Electrical Engineer says:

As the airplane is metallic, it provides a lower resistance path for the lightning to travel through. The reason the planes are unaffected is because the aluminum bodies are electrically isolated from the rest of the plane.

1. John says:

Actually “Electrical Engineer” is on the right track but not quite right. The true reason you are safe in an aircraft his by lightning is the same reason you are safe in a car that is struck by lightning. Unlike the electricity in power lines, lightning is a single burst of electricity known as an impulse. For reasons beyond the scope of this post, this creates a “skin effect” where the electrical charge literally flows over the outside of the conductor but does not penetrate to the interior. Just like a vehicle the skin of an aircraft is NOT isolated but the penetration depth of the electrical current from a lightning strike is so small that even with a piece of aluminum fractions of an inch thick, a person in direct contact with the interior would be in no danger at all from a lightning bolt striking directly on the other side of the conductor.

2. John says:

The large conductive airplane actually compresses and intensifies the electrical field within and around a thunderstorm. So in essence, an aircraft can actually cause lightning to occur. NASA conducted numerous experiments decides ago flying a jet fighter modified for science through thunderstorms while measuring the electric field and other parameters.

7. joe sciacca says:

In Haverhill,MA at 8pm we had rain shower. with some lightining but little thunder. also gusty winds.

8. John says:

At 9:30pm yesterday on Cape Cod, it sounded like there were bombs being dropped the thunder was so loud. The lightening was the brightest I have ever seen.

9. Pilot says:

Actually, it was 1328 that reported the smoke but did not declare an emergency. Why? Secondly, why did the Captain follow approach controls which vectored him through the thunderstorm vice going 15 degrees west of his position and accept the right downwind to runway 22. Kudos? More like lesson learned.

10. Cynic says:

I did most of my flying in C-119’s. When we hit lightning no one was overly concerned…. I used to pull up the straps on my Chute and make sure the dogs on the back door were working freely….Just In Case.On one flight to Goose Bay Labrador I received a Commendation….The Citation Read…” In an emergency situation,on his own iniative Airman——–. Went back and prepared to Jettison a dangerous cargo Of Liquid Oxygen”….The last thing on my mind was the LOX. I went back and prepared to jettison ME.That kinda made up for all the things I got blamed for that I didn’t do.

11. What is Included in a Sales Plan says:

I take pleasure in, cause I discovered exactly what I was taking a look for. You have ended my four day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a nice day. Bye