WBZ-TV Transmission Issues Notice Read More

Man Charged With Drunk Driving In Fatal Weymouth Crash

WEYMOUTH (CBS) – A driver was allegedly driving drunk when he crashed early Sunday morning in Weymouth, killing his passenger.

At around 5:15 a.m., 25-year-old Matthew Murray of Weymouth was driving near Commercial Street and Harding Avenue when he lost control of his vehicle and crashed.

WBZ-TV’s Paul Burton reports.

The passenger, 25-year-old April Ivil, was ejected from the vehicle and pronounced dead at the scene.

weymouthvictim Man Charged With Drunk Driving In Fatal Weymouth Crash

April Ivil, 25, was killed in the crash.

Murray was transported to South Shore Hospital, where he was charged with motor vehicle homicide while operating under the influence of alcohol, among other violations.

Another man inside the vehicle was treated at South Shore Hospital for minor injuries.

Murray is scheduled to be arraigned on the charges Monday morning at Quincy District Court.

1. emom says:

OMG when will folks learn drinking and driving just nevers pays ,,,, why do folks get into a vehilce when someone has been drinking ,,,, AND AS EARLY IN THE MORNING,,, Why do you need to drink for breakfast,,,so so so sad,,,,,

1. shotime says:

It’s not breakfast when they never go to bed. I live in a student populated area. It’s not at all uncommon for these kids to be partying until 6am in the morning! You’re right about one thing, it is so sad! When are these kids going to wake up to the fact that drunk driving really does kill people!

2. CJL says:

I was driving on the same road and saw the aftrmath. there perhaps minutes after the accident. There was no cops nor ambulance at the scene but I saw a man trying to revive the victim. I slowed down contemplating what to do. I tried reaching for my cell when I saw a EMT van parked at the nearby lot with headlights on. I rushed and pulled in the lot and alerted the EMT guys and directed them to the accident.
    I wish I left the house a few minutes earlier today. Perhaps I could have got to the EMT earlier.
    I extend my prayers to the famillies affected by this tragedy.

3. --Rick MacDonald says:

The only way to stop this senseless activity is to force District Attorneys to bring 2nd degree murder charges under the depraved indifference to life statute and to pressure judges int he Commonwealth to apply severe sentencing appropriate to the taking of a human life. People have received more jail time for tossing a pet out of a moving vehicle than most receive for killing other people while recklessly choosing to drive drunk. That is absolutely ridiculous and speaks volumes about how ridiculous Bay Staters are in allowing this atrocious condition of weak law enforcement to continue

Wake up, Massachusetts and in at least one area of your public life, act like being personally responsible is important and more than just lip service.

4. natedog says:

I know matt murray and he is a maggot!

1. Watch What You Say About People says:

No he is not by any means, he is a good guy who went to an elite school and just made poor decisions. I knew him personally and it is extremely tragic. He loved April and would never have wanted that to happen…

1. aforgottenman says:

Apparently, he loved her to death…some love