Councilors Propose Smoking Ban At Boston Parks

BOSTON (CBS) – Two Boston city councilors are considering a proposal that would ban smoking in public parks and beaches in the city.

Councilor Salvatore LaMattina has filed an order for a public hearing on the proposal, which is co-sponsored by Councilor Felix Arroyo. Both men suffer from asthma and have been working with Boston’s asthma task force.

The plan bounces off a similar ordinance passed in New York City this month.

“I saw this happen a few times in a park where somebody lights up a cigarette and the person next to them has to move,” LaMattina said.

“My concern is the second hand smoke. Second hand smoke kills. I want to be sure that when people go to a park or a beach or public space, that is a smoke-free environment.”

Councilor Salvatore LaMattina speaks with WBZ NewsRadio 1030’s Ed Golden

The proposal would allow smoking on public sidewalks.

LaMattina and Arroyo plan to unveil their idea to ban smoking in Boston parks and beaches at Wednesday’s Boston City Council meeting.

Any official action on the plan would be months away.

Comments

1. sickofit says:

This is a fantastic idea. I truly hope with all my heart this comes to pass.

1. Dr. Bombay says:

Welcome to OmeriKa … you must be very proud.

2. Irish67 says:

I agree. I can only hope and pray that the government fills in the remainder of the gaps in our personal choices. There are often days I’m not sure of what to wear or what to eat. I hope they can legislate those choices too so we can all dress and eat alike and wont have to worry about seeing someone do something that isnt universally approved of.

3. Ryan Burke says:

You have to be a highly unusual person to hope with all your heart on something like this. Imagine if you applied yourself to something worthwhile. Think of all of the REALLY cool freedoms you could help get banned.

2. gramps says:

It’s easy to pick on the few smokers that society has left, they’re defenseless ….

Do the tough & productive thing that affects everybody in the city, hand held cell phone use while driving is akin to….. ‘DRUNK DRIVING”!

Using a hand held cell phone while driving ‘KILLS & MAIM’ more people & causes more property damage in the city than a few ‘butts’ do…..

“Smokers are short term problem, they’re a ‘DIEING BREED’

gramps….PS

How to enforce hand held ban:

1) Officer observes the ‘Offense’ & notes the time of day & if possible use’s his/her dash-cam to memorialize the offense & offender.

2) Pulls the Offender over. Asks for & receives the cell phone #, then verifies it by calling the given # to see if the offenders phone rings…

3) If necessary, for court purposes, cell phone records will be will be subpoenaed, they’ll show the dates & time of day the phone was in use. This will prove the ‘Motorist’ guilty or innocent.

4) If the Motorist refuses to surrender his/her cell phone #, they shall/should be treated as if they, ‘REFUSED THE BREATHALYZER’!

1. Drew says:

Smokers are not defenseless…..it is a personal choice. I used to smoke and I am all for this….I would rather see more action in regards to throwing the butts everywhere and no respect for the cost to clean them, the trash from the packs and the foil people toss as well. Not all but, almost every smoker I see in downtown throws their butts on the ground or in the street.
      Why should I after quitting on my own, be subject to the socially lacking manners of public smokers? I walk down the street and 90% of the people are smoking. I get the awesome privilege of being behind and having to breathe that in….on the beach and in the park in summer it is horrible.
      I agree that Cell phone should be banned from any driving at all.
      The drinking issue in the city, that will always be around while the MBTA shuts down while the city is still open.

1. BC says:

“Why should I after quitting on my own, be subject to the socially lacking manners of public smokers? I walk down the street and 90% of the people are smoking. I get the awesome privilege of being behind and having to breathe that in”

Unbelievable. First you infringe property rights, by instituting smoking bans on indoor private property, forcing smokers out to the curb like a bunch of animals. Then you actually have the gall to complain about them being out there?

Are you KIDDING me? Guess what — they wouldn’t all be standing out there on the sidewalk, getting in your way, if you hadn’t taken it upon yourself to dictate how “workplaces” must be operated.

When you step back and look at it, it really is stunning that this is America. All you little human beings, running around trampling on the liberty of the other little human beings, trying to choreograph some perfect society with no regard for freedom or rights. And you don’t even see anything wrong with it. It doesn’t hit you, on the deep fundamental level where it should hit you, how you’re destroying the ONE thing — individual liberty — that was supposed to make this place different from everywhere else in the world.

2. Bruce_Almty says:

When the progressive socialists ban cheeseburgers you can say “I use to eat cheeseburgers.” Need we say more?

3. Cynic says:

Non-Smokers are Sick people.

4. Cynic says:

Drew…90% of people on the street are smoking? Looks like your bans have not been very effective.

5. RD says:

Drew,
        90% of the people on the street are smoking? And most of those are littering their butts and trash.

Um…yea, right.

6. barneyg says:

You gotta love reformed smokers. Because they quit. it is now the worst thing happening on the planet. Shut up and let me have my smoking. I dont want to ban your smelly arm pits do i? well maybe if they are bad enough.

2. Kysaedpo says:

Smoking kills more people than anything else combined

1. bubbagyro says:

Yeah, if you live in the Twilight Zone.
        Doh! What a DB.

2. Jekyll Isle says:

Really more than anything else?
        “The adverse health effects from cigarette smoking account for an estimated 443,000 deaths, or nearly one of every five deaths, each year in the United States”

So what you are saying is that only 886,000 people die each year since smoking kills the most than anything else combined.

Morons like you shouldn’t be allowed to own computers

3. okemzrazer says:

Do a few Googles on obesity related deaths and get back to us.

4. RD says:

Provide some statistics, Ky, or that comment is nothing more than pure biased opinion of little significance.

3. Mr S says:

Dear Gramps,
      Where did you come from , it’s like you went to the university of Nazi Germany, class of 1930 . You can take your schemes of making all these laws to make life totally tyrannical .
      Wouldn’t it be more civil to require companies to be more innovative to eliminate the need to even have to hold devises , so everything is verbal controlled.
      Also most kids have problems with misuse of phones while in a car.

1. gramps says:

Mr.S, it’s always somebody else’s fault…..’You blame the ‘PHONE’!…..

Nobody takes responsibility for their actions today……You read like a typically progressive, MACS type, ‘helicopter parent’…..

Kids/Children should not be driving a car……”ADULTS SHOULD”

gramps

3. Robert Moschetti says:

Well it looks like I will have to start smoking again just so I can break these very unconstitutional laws that nanny state do-gooders keep trying to impose on us. I can not speak for anyone else but I sure look forward to becoming an outlaw and a founding father of the new Republic.

4. annmarie says:

I love this. I wish it would be done everywhere nationwide. Better yet get rid of the damn things all together. Nothing good comes of them. Nothing! Well it does keep some people employed. I can’t tellyou how many times i’ve breathed in smoke in my car from someone in front of me in traffic or.walking ahead of me or right next to no smoking signs outside of buisnesses. I so want to say “dude i really don’t want to share your cigarette!” But then i would probably be the rude one. Im not sick with anything just sick of it!

1. Drew says:

Well said! It is even worse when you go to eat! People congregate in the doorway for crying out loud! Get rid of it completely!

1. Bruce_Almty says:

and get rid of those dammed restaurants making all that fattening food……. Oh, not to worry, we have Michelle working on destroying the food industry.

2. Cynic says:

Drew maybe you and Annmarie should get together and start your own little Non-Smoking Country. Of course it would be only a matter of time before you both find something that the other does that should be BANNED>

2. Ryan Burke says:

Hey AnnMarie – shut your window. Should we ban Indian food if you don’t want to share the curry smell? What else should we ban in the United States of AnnMarie?

3. Bubba Heinz says:

but doesn’t your car have a tailpipe that blows toxic fumes into other people’s mouths? Sound pretty hypocritical to me.

4. Worried Human says:

How about this, you could give up your car that is contributing to the death of the planet with its O2 emissions and walk, which will make you healthier?

Or, you could just shut your D A M N mouth… I would prefer the ladder.

1. Edgy Old Dude says:

How tall should that ladder be?

2. Worried Human says:

Good catch Edgy, it’s late in the day and I need more coffe. And to answer your question, about 10 … yea, 10 or 11 feet should do it.

3. Cynic says:

Oh C-mon Edgy Old Dude…..Even I know that He/She meant Latter.

5. Cynic says:

Annmarie….Really now…Smoke from the car in front of you? What Planet are you from? As I’ve said;Non-Smokers are sick people…..Some are delusional as well.

6. RD says:

annmarie,
      You’re not only the rude one, you’re a self-serving moron. Your way or no way, right Miss Communist?

7. barneyg says:

Look why dont you people that want a police state go and remake nazi germany on some other planet and leave me and all the other people who do value the freedom to turn the knob on the radio to a different station alone.

8. Bob S says:

Seig Heil! Annmarie! What other groups of American Citizens would
      you like to see persecuted?

5. Bobbie Huffman says:

Concerning cell phones, what kind of thinking is this where the police have a right to demand a cell number and if the records show activity during certain times the person is guilty. Welcome to prision U.S.A. Comrade

6. Jon24 says:

Pathetic! Boston is becoming a complete PC joke! What’s next on the list, texting while walking, talking while eating, singing to the radio???

7. Scott Augé says:

Just what we need, the system creating more criminals. (I am a non-smoker.)

8. Ryan Burke says:

I think they should ban fatty foods in public parks and streets as well. Being fat kills more people than anything else. It drives up the cost of healthcare. It’s also addicting and targeted at children. I don’t have kids but if I did I wouldn’t want some inconsiderate fatty eating donuts in front of my kids and jeopardizing them with second hand cholesterol.

1. RHD says:

That’s the ticket, Ryan!!! Have the government tell us what we can eat and control EVERY aspect of your lives.

Moron…

9. Mark G says:

I am an ex-smoker. What I find more offensive than cigarette smoke is the stench of self-righteousness exuded by these anti-smoker activists.

10. Earl Flemm says:

the ciggarette Nazi’s are at it again

11. LibsAreCommies says:

What is it with these LibCommies? It’s one thing after another.
    This is proof that their whole secondhand smoke lie was just a vehicle for further behavior controls.
    Much more harmful to society is secondhand Liberalism. That’s what we need to ban.

1. fishbone says:

second hand liberalism–great tweak

12. Ryan Burke says:

How would Felix feel if we banned patchwork beards? http://felixarroyo.com/

1. Armed Texan says:

If you can prove they cause measurable harm to others then I say go for it. Until then, Google “straw-man” and learn something about how dumb you sound.

1. Ryan Burke says:

Why don’t you start with proving that OUTDOOR second hand smoke has ever, EVER caused harm to a significant part of the population?

For starters, prove that outdoor second hand smoke has caused more harm than automobiles for…
        1. pollution
        2. hitting pedestrians
        3. killing people in cars

If you can prove that then you will have the right to start making straw man accusations. If you cannot, then my analogy holds.

2. RD says:

Actually, your analogy outright sucks.

13. Donato says:

Does that incude marjiuana???

1. Worried Human says:

No, it’s still legal to smoke marjiuaman in public, don’t worry, go light up.

14. Bruce Baker says:

Those nasty smokers! What’s best for everyone is obviously what we should do, even if it deprives them of their rights!

Now that I think about it, it’s also obvious to me that everyone would be better off if we would only kill certain people. We could use solar powered ovens to dispose of the corpses. Go Green! Zeig Heil!

1. Armed Texan says:

You do not have the right to destroy the freedom of others. What about my right to breathe air not polluted with your garbage? Oh that’s right, only you smokers have rights.

1. Ryan Burke says:

What else should we ban for your “freedoms”? Do you not like the smell of barbecue? Maybe we should ban those. What about home fireplaces? What about cologne? My freedom to not smell your cheap deoderant brand mandates that you switch to whomever is lobbying the gov’t!

2. RD says:

Armed Texan,
        That’s the best argument you can come up with?

Does your mommy know you’re posting on an adult board?

15. Cynic says:

Hey Non-Smokers… Read the comments. Your day has passed..You have LOST.

1. Worried Human says:

Hey Cynic, read the com… STFU!

2. Rick says:

I can just imagine Cynic.. Yellow Teeth, smelling like smoke all the time.. Smoke in his/her skin.. NASTY…

1. Cynic says:

Rick… My Grandfather died in 1941 and to this day I miss the smell of his pipe.

16. Hank Warren says:

Out-of-control gov’t regulations, yet another violation of our rights. Add it to the list of gov’t violations of our right:
    They violate the 1st Amendment by placing protesters in cages, banning books like “America Deceived II” and censoring the internet.
    They violate the 2nd Amendment by confiscating guns.
    They violate the 4th and 5th Amendment by molesting airline passengers.
    They violate the entire Constitution by starting undeclared wars for foreign countries.
    Impeach Obama and sweep out the Congress, except Ron Paul.
    (Last link of Banned Book):

17. LoachDriver says:

This is an instance of the nanny state has run amuck.

Although I quit smoking many years ago & have a “No smoking”
    sign posted on my front door, can’t see it’s anyone else’s business if someone chooses to smoke out-of-doors.

1. Armed Texan says:

Your argument makes no sense. It’s absolutely my business if I’m forced to breathe second-hand smoke. Should the government also permit unabated dumping of toxic waste on public beaches?

1. Ryan Burke says:

They should ban all bad smells that Armed Texan doesn’t want to be “forced” to smell. They should clear out homeless people so you aren’t “forced” to see them as well. Their right to walk the streets ends where your right to not see them begins! Let them hang out in their private property!

2. Armed Texan says:

Congratulations Ryan Burke! You just created the weakest straw-man argument ever!

3. RD says:

Armed Texan, YOU are a first class example of an idiot.

18. Kendrick1 says:

Don’t you guys know?? Secondhand smoke is now passe. We now have thirdhand smoke!!! Unintended consequence of abating smoking–elimination of taxes on cigarettes and how to replace them. This goverment interference just never stops!! Read the story of the camel, the arab and the tent and you’ll find out when it stops!!

19. Pandoral says:

By this same ideology, it should be illegal to fart in public (methane gas), drive a gas burning automobile in public (pollution and gas emissions) and possess or pop a helium filled baloon in public. Where does it stop?

20. Worried Human says:

Daniel Tosh is a DB

21. Pandoral says:

Also, should it be legal to place a tax on cigarettes with the intent to disuade citizens from smoking? What if that tax were to be raised to $100 Million per pack of cigarettes: should it still be legal, despite the obvious discrimination agains lower income families?

1. SHAME says:

HOW IS THAT DISCRIMINATION!??! THEY ARE HELPING LOW INCOME FAMILES KFIGHT THE DISEASE OF SMOKING BY MAKING IT IMPOSSIBLE FOR THEM TO SMOKE!! DO YOU WANT THE LOW INCOMES TO SPEND ALL THEIR MONEY ON CIGS AND THEN GET LUNG CANCER THEY CANT AFFORD TO TREAT!? SHAME ON YOU!

22. MsOceanCity says:

C’mon all you smokers and give the PV(aka:personal vaporizer/electronic cigarette)a try! It will save your life, won’t harm others and isn’t included in most smoking bans.

23. dave says:

I plan on smoking the cheepest cigars I can find and smoking upwind.. Trans fat, salt, smoking….soon they will want to tell you what doctors you can see…….mmmmmm. I see a pattern.
    Boston where the shot heard round the world was ………..

You guys want Mayor Mike back?

24. Ryan Burke says:

MsOceanCity is that comment neutral on the ban? Are you pro ban and suggesting some stupid tool to use instead or just offering unsolicited advice in general?

25. Armed Texan says:

Freedom should be permitted to the maximum extent that it does not affect others’ freedoms. I do not want to be forced to breathe second-hand poison when I’m in public. If they can ban sex, alcohol, and nudity in public parks then they can ban smoking too. In fact, smoking should be banned everywhere except on private property.

1. Ryan Burke says:

Hey Armed does that mean you are against smoking bans on such private property as restaurants, bars, and clubs?

No one is “forcing” you to breath anything in public. Just don’t go out in public. What if I don’t want to be forced to to inhale your garlicky smelling breath? Can the gov’t force you to use mouthwash every now and then?

2. Liberty First says:

Armed Texan, no one is forcing you to stay in the vicinity of a smoker at a public park. Just like the classic liberal mantra of ‘just change the channel if you don’t like what’s on’, you also have the freedom to walk away if you don’t like the smell of your surroundings.

1. Armed Texan says:

I can’t change the air I just breathed. Get a better straw man and come back.

2. Liberty First says:

So Armed Texan’s answer is that he wants to be a bubble boy. Protect him from anything that might cause him harm, regardless of the dose.

Perhaps we should cut off your oxygen right now too. After all too much of that is toxic as well.

3. Armed Idiot says:

We definitely need to ban dairy farms as well. There’s an off chance a cow might fart when Armed Texan is somewhere nearby. All that methane…and he’ll never get that breath back

3. RD says:

How’s that communism working for you?

4. Nodrog says:

Have you ever seen a politician pass a law to stop themselves from doing something? Do you want them taking away your guns next, “ARMED” texan? When and where does the destruction of Liberty stop?

26. Armed Texan says:

Get real. Garlic breath has not been proven to cause cancer and other serious illnesses. Second-hand smoke has.

Your argument about not going out in public is so specious it doesn’t deserve a reply. Smoking is voluntary. Breathing is not.

And yes, I think smoking should be banned everywhere but private property.

1. Ryan Burke says:

You can’t change the air you breathed but you can obviously keep a “safe” distance from the “harm” of second hand smoke.

You also cannot prove that outdoor smoking causes any harm to you whatsoever. No such study has proven that. Go get a better excuse other than your own convenience and smarmy attitude to infringe on the freedom of others.

1. Armed Texan says:

Do you just make up this drivel as you type?

Klepeis, et al. (2007) measured OTS respirable particle concentrations in outdoor patios, on airport and city sidewalks, and in parks. They also conducted controlled experiments of SHS indoors and OTS outdoors. Klepeis et al. (2007) found that mean SHS particle concentrations outdoors can be comparable to SHS indoors.

2. Armed Texan says:

The California Air Resources Board study (CARB, 2006), measured OTS [outdoor tobacco smoke] nicotine concentrations outside an airport, college, government center, office complex, and amusement park. CARB found that at these typical outdoor locations, people were exposed to OTS levels as high as indoor SHS concentrations.

3. Ryan Burke says:

What did the study say about dosage? Radiation from an X-ray machine can also cause cancer if you are overexposed? Are you saying that if someone hangs outside in the smoking section outside most airports for their entire life that they have a statistically significant chance of getting cancer?

1992 EPA study based on flawed premises estimated 3,000 deaths a year from second hand smoke.

So far you have a much more compelling argument to ban automobiles than outdoor smoking…

2. Cynic says:

Armed Texan. How do you feel about the odor of Cow Manure that pervades the area between Oklahoma,Mexico,Arkansas and New Mexico?

27. Fred says:

Just because I let you feel me up at airport security doesn’t mean that you can take away my right to smoke on the sidewalk !!

1. Armed Texan says:

Wanna bet?

1. non-smokers>smokers says:

THANK YOU TEXAN! These smokers need to realize that there are more of us than them and that we will do ANYTHING and EVERYTHING we have to to keep the disgusting residue of their addiction out of our children’s lungs! If it means the extinction of the tobacco plant from the face of the earth then that is what we’ll do!

2. WRONG says:

WRONG…its not a right…its a privledge that will soon be retracted….you and your 10 other buddies that still think its cool to smoke can just try and stop us…we’ve done so much to curb smoking already, and you think we cant get you off the sidewalks too? you’re in for a rude awakening

28. Ryan Burke says:

Second hand smoke has not been proven to cause cancer. That is a ridiculous lie. It is also a ridiculous statement that ANYONE walking in public is at any level of risk of detrimental effects of second hand smoke.

What about car exhaust? Should we ban cars? Could you not choose to wear a breathing mask that costs 10 cents?

Let’s be honest, this is ENTIRELY about your own convenience, not your right to protect your health.

1. Armed Texan says:

You are obviously an idiot in denial. It’s a dangerous combination. Almost as bad as second-hand smoke mixed with public places.

1. Armed Idiot says:

That’s right. The science behind occasional second-hand smoke causing cancer is as definitive and infallible as oat bran lowering cholesterol, saccarin causing cancer, vaccines causing autism…oh wait

2. Ryan Burke says:

By the way, for someone who likes to throw out the charge of “straw man” arguments you’d think you’d lay off the ad hominem attacks.

3. RD says:

Ha AT, you’re one to label someone an idiot…idiot.

2. Bob says:

“… Second hand smoke has not been proven to cause cancer…”
      ————————-
      There was a professor in Boston (BC?) who examined the 20 most-recent (at the time) studies of second-hand smoke . In every case, he showed that the epidemiological data did not support the studies’ conclusions. Same with the (in)famous EPA study. Sounds like the AGW “research” at East Anglia.

29. Armed Texan says:

This is a good start!!!!

Ban smoking in ALL public locations!!!!!

1. Ryan Burke says:

Why don’t we start with removing bans for private locations! That would be a good start. Bring smoking back to bars, restaurants, and clubs. You with me?

2. RD says:

How about we ban stupid people first. Better pack, you’re on the first bus out.

30. Lenny says:

Bad Idea. I will hate my city if that happens. I am calling the health board right now!!!!!

31. Thank you says:

Finally our govt. starts to make some REAL progress in eliminating the disgusting addiction that is smoking. These animals who call themselves smokers, constantly looking to get their toxic nicotine fix like a fiend, need to be put on a leash! Boston should open “smoker only” parks under the shadows of smokestacks, toxic waste dumps, incinerators, etc. so that all the toxins can be localized and not widespread. Smokers don’t care about health anyway so there should be no complaining when they have to breathe the smoke of coal power plants and the sulfuric vapors of a toxic dump. This pandemic of smoking has gone on long enough! It’s time to give our lungs, our children’s lungs, and the atmosphere a permeanant break from tobacco!

1. for our lungs! says:

I AGREE! I don’t know how tobacco is still legal when equally damaging substances like crack cocaine and marijuana are illegal! BAN TOBACCO NOW LET US BREATHE FREE!

1. Sammied says:

Tobacco is still legal as the government loves the money it raises on tobacco tax.

2. asthmatic says:

I’m not for govt. control, but I could get behind this…I myself have asthma and it really gets set off bad by a smoker…even one a good distance away…anything that will help my breathing condition I’m for, I don’t care if people want to smoke or think they should be allowed to its just too dangerous for people like me…

1. Walter W. Charles says:

Let’s ban asthmatics and leave smoking alone!

3. BAN IT says:

FINALLY A COMMON SENSE COMMENT! IF YOU WANT TO GET ALL HIGH ON NICOTINE THEN CHEW GUM OR TAKE THE PATCH BUT DONT FORCE THE REST OF US TO BREATHE YOUR DEATH BREATH!!!!!!!

BAN SMOKING EVERYWHERE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

32. Liberalssuck says:

Ha Ha someone needs a health board to keep them safe, give me a @#$%^%$# break. Armed texan, hand over your arms ya P@#$%%^ Im embaressed that you come from the state that I do, BTW without the extra BS taxes on cigs this country would fall into a deeper whole if everyone quit. I can’t wait until its time to remove the sheep from the pasture, and slaughter the sorry SOB’s that are willing to take away others rights because their sissies

1. wanna bet? says:

non-smokers>smokers…..just try us….or haven’t you seen what we’ve already accomplished? we forced the smokers onto the streets and into the cold, we raised the taxes astronomically, WE’VE DONE EVERYTHING TO MAKE YOU THE SECOND CLASS CITIZEN YOU SMOKERS ARE SHORT OF SEPARATE WATER FOUNTAINS TO GUARD AGAINST YOUR TAR SPIT…but rest assured that and more are surely coming…enjoy your smoke…for now…

33. debbies21 says:

Let the hypocrites make them illegal and forgo the billions they take in in taxes. you can’t have it both ways.

34. NadePaulKuciGravMcKi says:

19 Dancing Oswalds = 5 Dancing Mossad

35. Lib-Hater says:

Don’t confuse the liberals with facts. Smoking kills, fat kills, cars kill, people with guns kill, life kills, water kills. No one who ever smokes, even a social smoker, cares about life. They obviously just want to die and leave their life insurance to their kids, and let the nanny state raise them to be good comrades.

36. Sammied says:

The government bans smoking almost everywhere yet loves the money that tobacco tax brings in. Has anyone noticed the government interferrence in the lives of it’s citizens even telling us what we can and can not eat. Not just telling us but putting laws through. Why does the government think that it has to dictate what we can and can not eat. The first lady is now telling restaurants ( a sit down one not fast food) what their menus should be regarding children. Can’t parents decide what their kids will eat when they go out for a special treat. How many kids eat out at restaurants frequently anyway? Isn’t it usualy a special event, birthday, etc? We need to get government out of our day to day lives.

37. Bob says:

Why don’t we just cut to the chase and ban… EVERYTHING!

38. Gas Master says:

If I fart and it causes you to depart a park bench should you be so inclined as to pass a law making farting an arrestable offense?

39. Disgruntled says:

Second hand smoke at the park? I don’t think so…

Please councilors mind your own F’in business!!! This USED to be a free country.

40. Camel Joe says:

Second hand smoke is such a lie. Where is all the proof? where are all the dead people? I have never met one or seen that in the obits. If second hand smoke was sooooo deadly, every bartender, stewardess etc should be dead. I love the brainwashed people who sit at an outdoor cafe with hundreds of cars going by breathing in carbon monoxide, heavy metals etc, yet cough when a smoker lights up. Dopes. If cigarettes are so dangerous and deadly why don’t we make a giant one and aim the smoke at the Taliban! Americans overall are dumb sheep who believe anything a “scientist” or actor tells them over and over. What a joke. People like it when cigs are banned but you will see fatty foods, salts, cars, ugly people etc will be next then they will wake up. maybe.

1. MamaCta says:

Joe, Joe, Joe… tsk, tsk. I am the child of 2, 4-pack a day smokers who died in VERY ugly ways from their smoking habits. As a kid, I constantly had bronchitis, ear infections, was very under weight… my childhood was one, non-stop respiratory infection. I moved out as soon as I came of age, and still, to this day, have worsening immunity problems that mostly have to do with breathing. Obviously, there will be stubborn folks like yourself, who need to justify the things they WANT to believe are true.

1. RD says:

MamaCta,
        Prove your “illness” is due to second hand smoke.

2. MamaCta says:

RD, ::rolls eyes:: -Guess you had to be there. I suppose you want me to prove my parents, who dies of lung cancer and mom who had a 4x bypass didn’t get it because of smoking, too. Funny, that’s not what our doctors said. BTW, RD, do you smoke around babies or kids? Back in the 60s-70s they did – hence, the problems I have.

41. Spittle says:

Take up skoal or beechnut chewing tobbacco and spit everywhere! But then they will ban that too. They need to ban fat people from planes and ugly people from being seen. Also no spandex or g strings for women over 120 pounds. Yankee hats will be banned in the state too.

42. Freedom is Dying says:

It’s all about control. The liberals want people to live like THEY want others to live; and they will go any length to FORCE people into their way of living and thinking. No personal choices = loss of freedom. Plain and simple, but somehow they cannot see the loss of our freedoms. A lot of the newly proposed/enforced bans around the country would actually be laughable, if they weren’t so (nowdays) realistic and scary.

1. okemzrazer says:

AMEN, brother/sister.

Ooo! There’s so much violence in the world today. Let’s go after the best cartoons ever made (Warner Bros., Tex Avery) and ban them.

Ooo! There’s so much racism. Let’s whitewash Mark Twain’s Huckleberry Finn and get rid of history. (Along with all other non-PC authors, however classic. Surprised they haven’t gone after Yeats, Byron, Shakespeare and many others yet.)

Ooo! Our kids are getting fat. Let’s ban cupcakes and cookies from student parties. (Mustn’t have fun! No-no-no!)

And on and on.

A big, FAT, smelly smoke-laden F U to you Boston liberals. Just secede into your own little pathetic world and leave the rest of us ALONE. Please.

43. MamaCta says:

So only conservatives smoke? Then why did my 2 democrat, chain-smoking parents die of lung cancer? You’re talking about personal freedoms, what about those who don’t want to breathe in others’ smoke, or deal with cigarette butt-litter everywhere- doesn’t that constitute a personal freedom? You’d make a better argument if cigarette butts didn’t coat every beach, park, sidewalk or building entrance. Smoking IS a disgusting habit; GROSS. I don’t smoke, so why do smokers IMPOSE THEIR SMOKING on us non-smokers?

1. RD says:

MamaCta,
      Their first problem is that they were democrats. That’s a disease MUCH worse than any disease tobacco could cause.

1. MamaCta says:

Confirmed. RD = troll. Now YOU’re the one who can’t have it both ways. Both Repubs and Dems can be smokers, and equally as pushy, at that. Doesn’t it bother you, being anti-govt. and all, that your smoking is going to feed THE ‘MAN’: the TAX man, the corporate tobacco MAN, the medical-system MAN, and finally, the funeral industry MAN? Boy, for all your ‘FREEDOM’, you sure have you where they WANT YOU. :D

44. Walter McGrain says:

I would like to see the Death Sentence for smokers who throw their butts out of their car windows. What a bunch of slobs.

1. Snap says:

sometimes the butts blow back into the car and it burns and all die , You like that?Get a Life

2. RD says:

Walt Buddy, you from Iran or something?

45. mark says:

With all the crime going on in the City of Boston the Mayor should be putting cops looking for the real problem, WHF has this world gone to bazaroworld? I really can not imagine more police for butts. Help us Please.

46. snap says:

Smoking, over paid Mass workers, so many people out of work, Way to go Duval.
    You SUCK

47. Patrick Martin says:

So Boston city councilors have nothing more important to do than harass it’s few remaining smokers? No crime to attend to? No local laws needing to be replaced?

I am actually a former smoker, been cig free for going on 8 months. I could care less if people were smoking around me, and if it bothered me, it’s a matter of ‘who got there first’ – if smoker was there before I arrived it’s up to me to walk away.

48. Cynic says:

After reading all 133 coments I have come to the following conclusions:
    1.Non-Smokers Are Sick People.
    2.Non-Smokers Are Sick People.
    3.Non-Smokers Are Sick People.
    4.Non-Smokers Are Sick People.
    5.Non-Smokers Are Sick People.

1. MamaCta says:

No, Cynic, you will be, unfortunately. Joke all you want…

49. emom says:

I have to wonder where did common sense go, Oh wait I know,, forget it.. to late,, it has gone bye -bye…. I cant tell you how many times I have gone into a bathroom and all I smell is cigarette smoke, so bad that you would think someone actually was smoking,, instead it was a chain smoker that came in and her clothes smelled so bad from cigarette smoke that it actually chokes the air you breathe ,,, Its bad in a small room, now imagine that 10 fold in a resturant trying to eat a meal In a smoke free resturant,,, I had it happen to me on many occasions.. once it was so bad, that I requested a different seat,, the lady at the next table had smoked a butt before entering the resturant, and as soon as they left they lit up again , and when they got in their car yet again, windows closed,,,,, you could see the smoke in the car,,, Honestly if you choose to smoke like that fine but please understand that the excessive smell of the smoke lingering on your body and clothes and hair is more than many can handle. Its like being in a room with grandma and that awfull perfume that she bathed in.. really it is like that… OH and before you chime in ,, I SMOKED FOR A FEW YEARS AND QUITE,,, SO I DO KNOW WHAT ITS LIKE TO QUIT. pee you it stinks, bad,

1. Cynic says:

I too have a problem with Bathroom odors but smoke isn’t one of them.

50. Cynic says:

This Smoking/Non-Smoking issue is so passe…..Lets concentrate on a more timely topic….The DEMON RUM.

51. Loving Florida says:

I don’t smoke but I believe that people have the right to smoke in open areas.
    I left Boston 26 years ago for the freedom of Florida. You folks are crazy.
    Do you not value the history of the minutemen who fought and died for your very freedom. I read about you folks want to ban smoking, ban candy bars,ban sugary drinks, ban dodge ball at school, ban giving out grades, ban keeping score and hundreds of other votes about freedom. If you folks lived in the 1700’s those minutemen would have been forced to fight with sticks.
    Oh by the way no State Taxes!!!!!!!!

52. emom says:

cynic you dont seem to get it,,,, I do and have lived with your kind,,, ahhh but smokers seem to think it does not hurt anyone,, not even themselves, I bet many may not go to a doctor and if they did it was for a cough that didnt go away… Oh I know the type , smoke them till you die type,, thats great, teach a child its no big deal, but tell them not to drink and drive or do drugs, wow. Cigarettes are addicting have always been and people do die from smoking , have major health issues and there families suffer health issues as well. I know 2 that have copd, both smoked , I had an uncle that died of cancer of the toungue from smoking unfiltered cigaretts,, explain that,,, nope you cant , but judge the non smokers you do, what a shame, you have no idea what its like on the other side ,, and never will,,, go to a field and smoke and enjoy it,,, cause what you think is ok for you many feel its not for them and I cant understand why common sense cant be used,,, maybe i will bathe in perfume and sit next to a smoker wonder who will move first,,,

1. MamaCta says:

Nicely said, emom. Everything you described, I’ve seen FIRST HAND, too. Smoking can and does lead to a very UGLY DEATH. It really is suicide on the installment plan. If smoking was so acceptable, why not smoke around babies? None of the trolls on this thread even joke about that – as it would really blow their credibility.

53. Jimmy says:

Simply stated, this is an attack on the public’s freedom. People choose to smoke just the same as people choose to vote or choose to buy a certain brand over another. On the issue regarding cigarette butts littering the sidewalks, what of the person choosing to smoke a cigar? It has no filter and is entirely biodegradable. What of the person choosing to smoke a pipe? All that remains after smoking is ash.
    The fact is that the government is choosing your actions for you. If we live in a “free society” that dictates harmless actions that you cannot choose to engage in freely, it is no longer a free society. It starts with small issues and escalates from there. Ever read the children’s book “If you give a mouse a cookie”?

1. Loving Florida says:

JIMMY
      You are so right. The people are so blind about freedom. Every inch you give the government wants to take a foot. It’s a whole different world now. When I lived in Mass, I was a victum of a violet robbery. I wanted to protect myself so I applied for protection being a Vietnam Vetetan, no criminal history and of course they told me to bad, I might shot a criminal by accident.
      Here in Florida you are allowed to arm yourself, just like when we won our freedom. I will read the book you mentioned. 1984 has passed by but we are rapidly heading towards it.

54. MamaCta says:

Jimmy, with that logic, people choose to pee in the pool. Pee is biodegradable. Why isn’t it cool to do that? Why wouldn’t people be OK with it? After all, it’s a large amount of water and only a small quantity of a biodegradable fluid.

55. emom says:

if freedom to smoke is a big deal,, then explain why so many folks , decide to SUE the tobacco companies, sue the government or the doctors … REALLY contradicting if you ask me,.. Smokers whine its their freedom,, so your right,, However, why are you suing everyone over it,, why go after the manufactures, unless deep down you do know that it is a health issue,, OH WAIT because no one ever told you it was addicting,, then explain all those that have quit and stayed off them ever since, I havent smoked since my early 20’s I am now 50. EXPLAIN THAT ONE , And i have no reason to sue them since I chose to smoke on my own.. thats another issue I dont get,, nobody held you down to smoke, You saw others doing it and thought it was cool,, But as for the freedom thing, if you all want your freedom then why cant you see thats what we want,, HOW ABOUT WORKING TOGETHER ON THIS SO ALL ARE HAPPY,, OH FORGET IT ,,,, smokers dont give a rats butt about the next generation only their gratification they can get at the puff puff moment.. smokem up cause soon you will be heared to a field to have a smoke feast,, enjoy ,, leave the kids behind so they dont suffer your fate

56. Kayleigh says:

This will never fly in Boston. Sorry, but too many people smoke in Boston. If it were L.A. then, maybe. I’m a Californian who moved here awhile ago, and there a lot more smokers out here (in Mass.). I, personally, like it that people smoker here because I happen to be a smoker. It really troubles me that this is even a discussion that our government is having. Welcome to 1984. I have to say that I am always considerate of other people when I smoke. I NEVER smoke around children and move away from people when I’m smoking in public. So, to all those anti-smoking witch hunters, please get off your high horse. I’m a grown, well-mannered law-abiding woman. I can have a cigarette outside if I please. If the state can tax me and make me pay $8 a pack, I think I should be allowed to smoke. How can the state tax me and then cite and charge me again. What a scam! The government is as bad as organized crime.

1. Kayleigh says:

One more thing…Why don’t they focus more on getting the homeless out of the Commons and into the shelters? There are homeless people and drug dealers throughout that area, the Commons and Downtown Crossing. Nope, it’s better to infringe on my rights.

57. emom says:

I dont care if you do smoke outside, BUT,ad you say you are considerate,, do you beleive its rigth that smokers congregate around a doorway that is used by all to enter and leave a building.. should smokers be there and should those that have CHILDREN and dont smoke be made to walk past and thru smokers to leave an establishment. I feel if smokers want to smoke please do it in a designated areas,, WHATS wrong with that…. to me thats fair,, we give them a space to enjoy theircancer sticks, so be fair to those that dont want to smell it,, OH and to all those that seem to like to FLICK YOUR BUTTS around and leave your stinking trash on the ground,, think of this,,, If a child should happen to see a cigarette butt on the ground do you know that if they pick it up and put it in their mouth and chew on it , they can get seriously illl form that… Children are the innocent and have no idea of the dangers of cigaretts lite or not… would you leave your drugs around for them to take, how about yout booze, what about chemicals,, cigarettes are no different than all them,, protect the children if you all care… I think thats fair.

58. emom says:

I have a question, If smokers have a right to smoke,,,and where ever they choose then Why cant NON-smokers have the right to not becomed perfumed by your smoke when walking out doors of establishments, walking in areas that many are in and not have to inhale the stench when going into a small room.. Just curious, since all this revolves around the rights of a smoker , but gives no thougth to those that do not smoke including children , babies, and those that may have a breathing condition.. I mean I dont think you would want me to walk into a room with peanut butter on me and your chiild is allergic to it… or I am sure you would not want to be subjected to the overload of perfume that takes your breathe away to the point you scramble for air to breathe,,,, I think its sad when we can not use common sense and think of others , after all, I am sure many where raised to RESPECT OTHERS, but few ever practice what they learn or for that matter very few ever practice what they claim … FREEDOM TO BE INCOSIDERATE IS THE NEW THEME,,,,,, HOW WONDERFULL LIFE IS,,,, NOT

59. Vast Sums of Cash says:

What I’d like to see is banning changing diapers and leaving the poop-filled, plastic pampers on the beach. If you can’t stand a little smoke, try sniffing dirty diapers or better yet, stepping on them during that lovely walk. They banned smoking and booze at San Diego’s beaches but the restaurants on the beach offer “patio dining” where folks can smoke and drink just a few steps from the beach along the busy boardwalk. For all the other businesses, well ,they’ve disappeared because the party animals who used to come to the beaches now go to the desert. And for you whiney-butts, smokers and drinkers fund a giant portion of every state budget through the ever-rising vice taxes. For you jerk smokers that feel entitled to pollute the air, be considerate – at the same time, anyone walking down a busy street is sucking in just a much or more carbon monoxide (car exhaust) than a wisp of ciggie smoke. Your immune system is there for a reason. Lastly, smoking is an addiction and causes early death. Smoke-free folks should be happy that smokers are paying that much more in taxes and will never use their social security cause they die so much earlier.

60. Mark says:

Ignorant comment
    Smoke in a park second hand won’t kill u

61. Jakeslaw says:

you can’t smoke but you can kill unborn babies.

Only in Massachusetts

62. Xpat Ron says:

When I read this stuff it makes me glad I left home, been living overseas for nearly 10 years, and during that time it’s gotten worse and worse back home, seems like they don’t know the difference between inside and outside anymore in the US, they still know the difference in Europe fortunately, and as far as the trash goes, well how about hiring people who need work to clean up =parks and beaches clean = out of work folks employed, oh sorry that was a moment of common sense, I do apologize for that.

63. CarolT says:

The anti-smokers commit flagrant scientific fraud by ignoring more than 50 studies which show that human papillomaviruses cause at least 1/4 of non-small cell lung cancers. Smokers and passive smokers are more likely to have been exposed to this virus for socioeconomic reasons. And the anti-smokers’ studies are all based on lifestyle questionnaires, so they’re cynically DESIGNED to blame tobacco for all those extra lung cancers that are really caused by HPV. And they commit the same type of fraud with every disease they blame on tobacco.

And, all their so-called “independent” reports were ring-led by the same guy, Jonathan M. Samet, including the Surgeon General Reports, the EPA report, the IARC report, and the ASHRAE report, and he’s now the chairman of the FDA Committee on Tobacco. He and his politically privileged clique exclude all the REAL scientists from their echo chamber. That’s how they make their reports “unanimous!”

For the government to commit fraud to deprive us of our liberties is automatically a violation of our Constitutional rights to the equal protection of the laws, just as much as if it purposely threw innocent people in prison. And for the government to spread lies about phony smoking dangers is terrorism, no different from calling in phony bomb threats.