Patrick Considered Quitting Early In First Term

BOSTON (CBS/AP) – Gov. Deval Patrick considered resigning just weeks after he was first elected in 2007 as his wife battled depression.

WBZ NewsRadio 1030’s Carl Stevens reports

Patrick writes in his soon to be released memoir “A Reason to Believe” that his wife, Diane, weeping and unable to sleep, had been admitted to a psychiatric hospital and the couple was dreading four years in the public eye.

There were reportedly moments when his wife asked him to quit, and Patrick explained why the couple chose to see things through.

WBZ-TV’s Karen Anderson reports.

“Ultimately, we decided together that I would continue as governor, and it was for the best. If I had resigned, it would have appeared as if the pressures had forced Diane into the hospital and me out of office,” he wrote.

Patrick was re-elected to a second term in November.

In an uncorrected proof obtained by The Boston Globe, Patrick also reveals that he failed the bar exam twice, and that he and his wife were rejected by The Country Club in Brookline.

Most of the book dwells on his early life and his rise from poverty on the South Side of Chicago.

He also discusses his friendship with President Barack Obama.

WBZ’s Jon Keller discusses the Patrick news.

Patrick was asked about the book by reporters at an event Wednesday.

“I’m still a man,” he said. “There’s really nothing really about being Governor that immunizes you or should immunize you from the rest of life.”

“My family comes first.   I’m honored to have this job.   I love doing it.  Even on the hardest day, it’s a privilege.  but my family comes first.”

Will Patrick ever run for president?

“Oh gracious no…I support this president and I’m going to do what I can to get him reelected,” said Gov. Patrick. “My next thing after this is, first of all, to finish these four years, and then go back to the private sector, which is where I’ve spent most of my career.”

His book is due out April 12.

(TM and © Copyright 2010 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2010 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

More from Carl Stevens

1. Sean says:

He should have we would have been better off without him as Gov.

1. Keith says:

@Sean, you’ve got to be kidding me. Mitt Romney, Jane Swift, Paul Cellucci…Deval inherited one fine mess handed down by years of Republicans. I’m glad he didn’t resign. In the end, we’re all better off. And I’m an independent!

1. Jim Jezowski says:

Keith, it is you that must be kidding us all, and a short and weak memory.. I’ll give you Jane Swift, but MItt and Gov. Weld were EXCELLENT govenors. It is sthe DEMS that have left us this fine mess when the gov position has no authority. Every little thing that one of the Repubs tried to do, and tried to cut was OVERRIDED by the DEMOCRAT LEGISLATURE. The Gov was nothing but a speed bump in the was of the Democrats. Spin it all you want, your just flat out wrong.

2. Cynic says:

I really liked Weld….He didn’t give a Rats Patootie about anything. He really didn’t want to be Governor but what the Hell,He had nothing else to do at the time. It was always interesting to read about who got locked up for DWI on the Expressway after leaving the drinking parties at his house.He didn’t do much as Governor but he didn’t do much harm either.

3. John says:

You’re also an idiot. Romney left office with cash on hand…Deval created this deficit. He’s an incompetent, ineffective, and utterky useless Governor.

2. colin says:

It is too bad he didn’t quit….

3. liz says:

OH how shocking. Couldn’t see that one coming. I bet he is going to DC and become one of Obama’s political hacks. Perfect place for deval. Get deval out of mass.

4. response says:

I have a really hard time believing anything the man says.
    “My family comes first…..” but yet…it wasn’t like that.

5. CEO says:

If his family truly comes first, then he would’ve resigned when his wife was admitted to a psychiatric hospital. But, no, his ambitions came before his family. What a shallow person.

6. Devoid says:

If his family comes first, then why the hell is he governor ====>>

7. Cynic says:

If we had only known that at the time,we could have encouraged him to quit.

8. Sammied says:

Oh how I wish he had (resigned). He is all image and no substance. One of the worst governors we have had (in my opinion).

9. emom says:

AAAHHH wait,,,, what stopped him from LEAVING<,,, Do you know what thought got you… OMG.. why didnt he leave,, He inherited the mess we are in,,, REALLY,…. HE'S MADE IT FAR WORSE THAN THE LAST 5 GOVERNORS ALONE. Hey but most of the hack wanna be's voted him back,,,.All I have to say ,,, ARE YOU HAPPY NOW,,,,,ITS YOUR FAULT HE IS STILL HERE,,,,,didnt vote for him at all.

10. mom123 says:

He will promote his book his whole term. Working for him, not us. Why can we not learn….

11. emom says:

Can we have a BOOK BURNING ,,,, I wouldnt read that garbage even if he paid me, unless it was a sizable amount,, and then I still wouldnt read it,,, He is a huge fool…