Savard Still Home, Awaits Trip To Boston For Tests
Bruins CentralShop for Bruins Gear
Buy Bruins Tickets
Sports Fan Insider
BOSTON (CBS) – Marc Savard was supposed to return to Boston to be re-evaluated on Wednesday.
Mother Nature had other plans though, and the Bruins center is still at home in Peterborough, Ontario. His doctor appointment will have to wait until later this week.
Savard suffered his second major concussion in the last year on January 22nd and has not played since. He was sent home prior to the All-Star break to rest, and Wednesday’s tests were to determine his progress.
The news was not expected to be good. Earlier this week, General Manager Peter Chiarelli said it was a “possibility” Savard would have to be shut down for the rest of the season.
Bruins center Patrice Bergeron joined 98.5 The Sports Hub’s Gresh and Zolak on Wednesday, and said the team is not concerned about Savard returning, but that their teammate gets healthy again.
“The first priority is his health and making sure he’s feeling good and back to normal again,” Bergeron said. “I don’t think we should put too much emphasis on it and too much pressure on Savy to come back. I think it’s about making sure he’s feeling good and see what happens. Obviously, we miss him and would like to have him with us.”
Savard missed the beginning of the season while recovering from post-concussion syndrome from a hit on March 7, 2010. He came back to play in last years playoffs, but began suffering the symptoms over the summer.
The 33-year old has suffered four concussions over his career, and will need to be fully cleared by doctors before he resumes hockey activities.