Report: “Strong Possibility” Bruins Savard Done For Season
BOSTON (CBS) – The Bruins return from the All-Star break one of the top teams in the NHL, but they could be without center Marc Savard the rest of the season.
General Manager Peter Chiarelli told ESPNBoston.com Monday night there is a “strong possibility” the team could shut down Savard after he suffered his second major concussion in the last 10-months. No decision will be made until Savard is re-evaluated in Boston on Wednesday.
If Savard is done for the season, the Bruins can place him on the long-term injured reserve which would clear cap space and allow the team to make a trade for an impact player.
Chiarelli told 98.5 The Sports Hub’s Toucher and Rich last week he would only go after a significant replacement if Savard was out for the rest of the year.
Savard was sent home to rest before the break after he suffered a moderate concussion on a check into the boards by the Avalanche’s Matt Hunwick on January 22nd. Any concussion is serious for the 33-year-old, who missed the start of the season while dealing with post-concussion syndrome from a grade-2 concussion he suffered on March 2nd last year.
In 25 games this season, Savard tallied two goals and eight assists. He is one assist shy of 500 for his career.