BOSTON (AP) – Members of the Massachusetts National Guard will be heading to Haiti to help continue the rebuilding effort after last year’s devastating earthquake.
Gov. Deval Patrick said on Monday that soldiers from units in Worcester and Bridgewater will travel to Haiti in April. He said the troops — the first from Massachusetts to go to Haiti — will help provide clean drinking water and support other humanitarian operations.
The governor made the announcement as he was joined by local Haitian-Americans at a ceremony marking the one year that has passed since the earthquake.
Patrick thanked Massachusetts residents for their “outpouring of support” in the past year, including hospitals that took in severely injured Haitian children and local school children who took up collections for Haitian relief.
(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)