Reporting Lana Jones
BOSTON (CBS) – If you haven’t shoveled enough snow this week the state fire marshal has some advice about a spot you might not have considered.
Those heating vents and vents from a gas dryer on the outside of your home may be covered with snow.
WBZ NewsRadio 1030′s Lana Jones reports
State Fire Marshal Steve Coan told WBZ NewsRadio 1030 that creates a carbon monoxide danger.
“It’s very important as you clear your walks and your sidewalks away of snow that you also clear snow away from the vents that come out the side of our homes or those heating systems or those gas dryers,” Coan said.
He’s not as concerned about roof vents as he is the ones closer to the ground.
“Until recently, those vents exited the home at a level that may be below the current snow load that we have,”
The code for new construction requires those vents to be well above the potential snow line.
WBZ-TV’s Jim Armstrong reports.
Now is the time to make sure your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are working.
This winter has seen an unusually high number of fires caused by ashes that were improperly disposed.
It seems some people use cardboard boxes or plastic bags to throw out ashes from the fireplace. Since the ashes can reignite, Fire Marshal Coan suggests using a metal bucket with a firm lid.
Never use your stove as supplemental heat.
And if you use a space heater, make sure there are at least three feet worth of space between it and anything flammable.
WBZ-TV’s Jim Armstrong contributed to this report.