Ice From Mass Turnpike Overpass Shatters Car’s Windshield

By Jonathan Elias, WBZ-TV

Updated Thursday 9:30 a.m.

WESTON (CBS) — As the evening commute was looking to be a sloppy one on Tuesday, Dr. Jennifer Michaud Finch thought she would get a jump on the drive home by getting out early.

A few minutes into her hour long commute she was driving on 95 North going under the Mass Turnpike when she saw a plow above clearing the overpass and she says a huge chunk of ice came crashing into her car hitting her windshield.

WBZ-TV’s Jonathan Elias reports.

“I was shocked. You expect rain and snow to fall from the sky, but not a chuck of ice rock hitting your windshield,” Dr. Finch said.

Her windshield was shattered, and so were her nerves. She called 911 and her car had to be towed.

She documented the damage right after the crash with her iPhone, describing shards of glass that were sent all over the inside of the passenger compartment of her car. She wasn’t injured but she feels lucky that she wasn’t.

Since then she and her insurance company have called the Massachusetts Department of Transportation, specifically the Highway Department, to find out what they should do next.

“This is an unsafe situation that could happen during any snowstorm at any time to anyone, and this shouldn’t be the practice.”

“It has happened in the past, it’s very rare,” state highway commissioner Luisa Paiewonsky told WBZ News Radio 1030 Thursday.

“It’s something that we strictly remind our plow operators, our contractors and our employees about the need to slow it down a little bit on bridges and avoid pushing snow over the railings onto vehicles below.”

“In this incident we are going to reach out to the driver and get as many details as we can… and try to track down that plow operator.”

Paiewonsky said the plow operator “will be held accountable.”

1. Charlie says:

Yeah and they try to call them for comment and u can’t get in touch with anybody, what a joke, me and my fam have been born new englanders and have said for 20 yrs that I will never leave new England, I can’t do this anymore, we r just leaving the house and going south, it’s sad to me cause I wanted my family to be new englanders and now my youngsters will be southerners and my kids will have southern ancients, something I thought would never happen, but it’s gonna happen, I know this has nothing to do with the article but u can bet this area has been in decline since the 40’s and 50’s, c ya :( leaving in 4 weeks

1. Cynic says:

Charlie… If you are going through Oklahoma,stop off at my house… I’ll buy the Beer. I usta live up there too.

2. jen passos says:

Same happened to me last Monday afternoon.
    I got off the highway in Neponset and went under the overpass when a plow passed by and smashed my windshield as well as my hood, and roof.
    I called 911 and while the officer was there another plow went northbound and did the same thing, but all the cars were stopped at the light.
    The state trooper assured me my insurance company would go after the city and pay my claim. But Liberty Mutual said dont bother we wont get anywhere and I have $1000 deductables.

3. Brian says:

To Jen P. :
    Liberty Mutual is not doing their job! It’s their responsibility. Call the Attorney General on Liberty…and the city if you have to!

4. Cynic says:

Ah Liberty Mutual… My favorite Insurance Company In 1959 I was stopped for a Railroad Crossing on Northern Ave when I was rear ended by a woman insured by Liberty Mutual. I got three estimates all in the area of $275.00 I went to The Ins. Company. They sent me to THIER Adjuster… He gave an estimate of $125.00. I didn’t care.I just wanted my car fixed. I went to Liberty Mutual,picked up the check and went back to THEIR Body Shop. They told me ” We can’t fix it for 125.00 it will cost you $275.00. I went back to Liberty Mutual… They said ” Tough… When you took the check you signed a release. THIEVES…. Ok,This was over 50 years ago but I don’t forget. Obviously Lib Mut hasn’t Changed.

5. Cynic says:

You know you are getting older when you notice how YOUNG and Pretty the DOCTORS are now-a-days.

1. Linda says:

Well, that’s a pretty positive and kind comment for a cynic : ) I take your point though. The last doctor I saw in an ER looked like he should be asking my daughter to prom, not writing prescriptions.