Quincy Boy Dies After Suspected Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

QUINCY (CBS) – An 8-year-old boy was pronounced dead at the hospital after he was found unresponsive by his older brother in their Quincy home. Officials tell WBZ-TV the death is a suspected case of carbon monoxide poisoning.

The boy, identified as Brandon Yang, was pronounced dead late Thursday afternoon at Quincy Medical Center, while his mom, who was also in the home at the time, was rushed to Mass. General Hospital. She is said to be suffering life-threatening injuries.

WBZ-TV’s Beth Germano with the report from Quincy.

Brandon was a third-grader at Snug Harbor Elementary School in Quincy.

Police said the woman’s 16-year-old son originally found his mother and brother unconscious in the home on Yardarm Lane in the Germantown section of Quincy.

Investigators found a lit Hibachi grill inside the house. Police say they do not know whether the grill was being used for cooking purposes, or as a heating source. The medical examiner will perform an autopsy to determine the final cause of death.

WBZ-TV’s Beth Germano contributed to this report.

  • cynic

    No doubt the Hibachi was being used for heat.No doubt the result of the tremendous cost of energy in the Boston area. The December Gas bill for my 2 Bedroom house here in Oklahoma was $60. and change. The tremendous cost of mere survival in Boston is the main reason that I don’t live there anymore. I can’t …the cost of bare existance is more $$$ than I have.

    • bstnh1

      Stop jumping to conclusions. You were wrong!

  • Jeff

    I was across the street (German Town neighborhood center) when this happened. I didn’t actually know what happened until just now, all I saw were about 3 fire engines and 3-4 ambulances. This is horrible, and I hope for the best for the family.

  • Italo

    My thoughts with them, too. So many terrible family tragedies in the news especially recently. The family is in my thoughts right now, as well.

  • Pat Peters

    I saw the police cars and ambulances racing up Palmer St. This is a devastating story! If a family with children has no heat is there no emergency assistance available on the coldest days of the year?

  • http://boston.cbslocal.com/?p=99691 Criminal Charges Pending In Hibachi In Home Death « CBS Boston – News, Sports, Weather, Traffic and Boston's Best

    […] QUINCY (CBS/AP) – Quincy police say criminal charges are pending after a boy died in his family’s apartment where a hibachi grill had been lit. […]

blog comments powered by Disqus
Taz Show
Download Weather App

Listen Live