Death Row

Ken Tucci

I’m curious as to why it takes so long for people on death row to get what they have coming to them?  Why do we have to waste our hard earned tax money on these losers? – Katie, Gardner

We don’t have the death penalty here in Mass.

However, in places where the death penalty is active, it’s common for a convicted criminal to stay there for years and years.  According to the Death Penalty Information Center, death row inmates “typically spend over a decade awaiting execution.”

There’s a lengthy appeals process, especially in death penalty cases.  Sometimes the appeals are mandatory.  The idea is that the system wants to make sure before it takes someone’s life.   We’ve all seen stories about people wrongly convicted who have spent decades in prison.  What if?  Some would argue that it’s better to spend tax dollars on “these losers” rather than make a horrible mistake.  And of course, some would also argue that the death penalty is immoral.

Do you think Massachusetts should have the death penalty?

More from Declare Your Curiosity
Comments

1. DStein says:

I’ve gone back and forth on the death penalty. The best argument for it is that it removes the chance some stupid judge will let a murderer back on the streets. Here in Massachusetts we know that all too well. The argument against it is that you risk putting an innocent person to death…..and we’ve seen that happen as well. I don’t think we need the death penalty or the risks that come with it if we could only guarantee that life in prison for a murderer really meant life in prison. That would keep the public safe and cost less than trying to implement the death penalty and all the appeals that go with it.

2. response says:

Yes, there should be a death penalty in MA.
    I still pray for a little boy named Jeffrey Curley.

3. macmum says:

I agree that there should be a death penalty when there is NO doubt. In the case of my sister’s murder, the guy confessed to others and then was arrested on the scene covered in her blood…he later confessed before a judge. Because the state he is in does not have a death penalty and requires that EVERY inmate’s sentence be reviewed after they serve 2/3 of their sentence, I have have to go before a parole board every three years to keep this waste of space in prison to serve the LIFE sentence he was orginally given by the judge. When there is a lack of physical evidence, there should certainly be a continuous review of the evidence to be sure before executing someone. But when there is NO doubt, let’s just “return the favor” to anyone that thinks that another life isn’t worth stopping and thinking twice before giving into their emotions.

4. kate says:

Look at San Quinton – they have had people on the death row for a insane amount of time. I agree w/ macmum – when there is no doubt – return the favor. What is the saying “An eye for a eye.” macmum – I’m really sorry to hear about your sister. Look at the guy in Arizona – there is no doubt he did it.

5. macmum says:

Thanks Kate! I went before the parole board this past November and his request was denied! (at least until 2013) BUT…the reality is that when life isn’t life and death isnt’ death, the victim and or their family continue to suffer while these butt heads live off our taxes..And all the “future killers don’t respect the law, since it is meaningless at this point -how unfair is that???

1. Cynic says:

macmum…If life without parole meant Life WITHOUT Parole would that make the difference? If the law said “This Law cannot be changed by the Legislature”.Would that ensure that our wishes were carried out?

6. kate says:

I’m w/ u!!! not only do some people deserve to die they deserve to rot iin hell. Just keep up the good work and the dirtbag won’t see life unless it’s behind barb wire.

7. taxedout says:

Never could understand how it is Cheaper to keep a person on Death row than to Execute. Hey wait awhile in Mass and even if your a 3 time death sentence person you can get out!!! Let’s move all the old folks in Senior housing and old age care into the priisons where they can get a nice roof over their head, 3 squares a day, heat, clothes, entertainment, and exercise. Then move all the prisoners into the oldage homes and have them pay 10 grand a month with less compassion than they get in jail!!!! Hang EM!!!! Cost around 30K or more a year for one prisoner, you wondering where your Taxes are going????

8. kate says:

I agree – hang them or fry them or let them pay a crazy amount of money that our poor seniors have the shell out day after day.

1. jack says:

Kate:
      not only do the senior people pay for their upkeep, we all do. Our hard earned money helps pay for their clothing, meals, shelter, health plan and protection that they don’t get hurt by other prisoners. So who wins? I say the criminal wins. The only time the victom wins is when they execute the death penaly ten minutes after they are sentenced to death. But that won’t happen because some of our society is too passive to allow that to happen. If the crime demands the death penalty then so be it and get it done.

9. cynic says:

Does anyone want the same State that runs the Registry Of Motor Vehicles deciding that someone should die? Read up on the Innocense Project and John Grishams book “The Innicent Man”… There are some things that the State is just not capable of.

10. cynic says:

When a person gets Life without Parole it’s over. They’re Gone….Unless they are found to be innocent sometime in the future they are gone forever and we don’t become as bad as they are by killing them.I live in a State with the Death Penalty that uses it frequently. I live alone and I find myself saving all my receipts with dates and times on just on the chance that at some point I may have to prove to the State that I wasn’t where they say I was. This is a very real concern when there is a Death penalty.

1. macmum says:

The problem, cynic, is that some states have a “standing rule” that after any inmate has served 2/3’s of their sentence, they have the right to ask and will be reviewed for the option of parole. A “life sentence” doesn’t really mean the rest of their lives…it’s means 2/3’s of what the state percieves they have left of their life (based on statistics). Once they reach that level, they may well be able to be released back out on the streets to hunt down new victims. I know that keeping the guy that stabbed my sister to death in prison will not bring her back. BUT it may well keep someone else from burying their loved one. and for me that is a Great reason to keep fighting and telling my story in the hope that the laws will be changed to protect the INNOCENT instead of the perpetrator!

2. jack says:

Cynic:
      I don’t understand why you keep your reciets to prove where you were on a certain date. If you did’nt do anything wrong that would warrant that kind of prove then you have nothing to worry about, or even be concerned about.
      if you think that life in prison means life in prison? then it’s time that you woke up and smell the coffee. Remember, it’s your tax dollars that are keeping these losers alive and well fed and in good health as well as clothed, protected and sheltered from the elements. Where else can you go and get free food, free cloths,free shelter, free health plan, and so forth and so on, and all you have to do is get a sentence of life and put up with whatever is at the place you go to.

1. Cynic says:

Jack read my earlier comments.

11. taxedout says:

There are a Lot of things the state is just not capable of!!!