Mass. Hospitals Resolve To Go Smoke Free In 2011

BOSTON (AP) – Massachusetts hospitals have a new goal for 2011 – banning all tobacco products from their campuses.

The Massachusetts Hospital Association is teaming up with the Department of Public Health this month to unveil the new tobacco-free hospital initiative.

Supporters say hospitals should participate in the voluntary program to help reinforce the state’s anti-smoking message.

Massachusetts Hospital Association CEO Lynn Nicholas and Public Health Commissioner John Auerback plan to detail the initiative at an event at the Spaulding Hospital in Cambridge on Wednesday. The hospital recently joined the Spaulding Rehabilitation Network’s other hospitals to go tobacco-free.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press.  All Rights Reserved.)

Comments

1. peter says:

it’s all a great idea, however it is easier said than done. go to the shattuck hospital in jamaica plain. it has been “smokle free” since march 2010, however it is still a problem. how do you tell a psych patient to not smoke on the property? or tell a patient at 2:30am to not smoke on the property? yes, some floors are allowed outside whenever they feel like it.

2. cynic says:

If I have an accident or serious illness do I have the option of not deing delivered into the hands of these people? Where would I go?…..These People are INHUMAN>

3. cynic says:

If you don’t submit to our Non-Smoking hysteria, we will see to it that you DIE….Is this what they are saying?

4. cynic says:

I’ll take out my damn IV’s and go out and stand off your stupid property if I want to smoke….Try to stop me.

5. peter says:

cynic…… seems like you are just like the rest of the lovely clients at the shattuck. it’s nice to see where our tax dollars go also.
    please, feel free to rip out your damn IV bag—go off the property and keep on going so the next degenerate can stay there for a while…..why would i stop a low life?????? hahahahahaha

1. cynic says:

Obviously you are a Non-Smoker……I know you people have problems but I didn’t know that the inability to read and understand was one of them. What did anything I said have to do with the Shattuck or any particular Hospital? All I said was that the people that come up with these constant attacks on smokers are sick….And they ARE.

1. peter says:

I am a smoker, by the way.

6. Cynic says: