Milford High Hockey Player Collapses On Ice

MARLBORO (CBS) — A 15-year-old Milford High hockey player collapsed during a game Monday at the New England Sports Center, but quick thinking by people nearby and teamwork saved his life.

A slap shot hit Tyler Symes, who’s been playing hockey since he was three, in the chest. He was able to skate over to the bench, but then collapsed.

WBZ-TV’s Beth Germano reports.

“They said it was between beats and it stopped his heart,” said Paul Galipeau, Symes’ uncle.

By the time EMTs with Marlboro Fire Department arrived, Symes was already getting treatment.

“As I got there I noticed a woman doing chest compressions, man doing mouth to mouth resuscitation,” said Dan Auger of the Marlboro Fire Department.

The man was an off-duty firefighter, the woman an athletic trainer with the team.

Fellow players and family members are calling it a freak accident, and are hopeful about his recovery.

Comments

1. Jim Donovan says:

Great to hear of people responding to save a life. Well done. Praying for Tyler to have a complete recovery.

2. foodforthought says:

A Christmas Miracle :)

3. james hatch says:

Margaret w should die. what a jerk. i hope you spend a lonely Christmas with just you and your cats you freak. how could you say something like that?

4. susan salvccoi says:

I agree with James – who would be glad a 15 year old boy almost died? Enjoy your cats Margaret . . .

5. MamaKas says:

Wow, what a bitter person you are. Do you wish they had let him die? What did he egg your house? From what you just said I can imagine why.

6. CMoore says:

Ditto to Jim and foodforthought’s comments. We were praying for a Christmas Miracle and wish the best for him, his family, friends and teammmates!

7. mikey b says:

What did Margaret say her comment is not isted

8. Cynthia Kandar Moore says:

Nothing short of a Christmas Miracle! Best wishes to him, his family, friends and teammates! Thank God.

9. ssal says:

James was respond to what Margaret said (her comment was taken off) saying the little brat eserved what he got. She is the NUT!!

10. TheShawFamily says:

God Bless Tyler and his family. We remember Ty from baseball and wish him the best.

11. Robyn Wilson says:

I cant believe what I am reading!!!! How could you say that about anyone never mind someones child? I hope for a sad lonely miserable Christmas for Margaret and the best Christmas to Tyler and his family!!!!

12. Brian T says:

As a parent of a player playing in this game and a I myself being a witness when this happened I am appalled at the commentary by Margaret!!! Are you kidding me!!! I can tell you that my big burly 17 year old was reduced to tears when this happened. Keep in mind folks that these boys live and breathe hockey and when something like this happens regardless of being on opposite teams the reaction is that of a brotherhood… Very similar to our Firefighters and Police officers in tragic times. Our thoughts and prayers are with Tyler and his family may he heal to a full and complete recovery and come back to play again!!! God Speed in your recovery Tyler !

13. John C. O'Donnell says:

Hey margaret,
    God takes care of good people. Fortunately, you’re not on his list.
    John O’Donnell, Ty’s Great Uncle

14. HockeyMom says:

Wishing for a speedy recovery! Thoughts and prayers to Tyler and his family.

15. sullyinma says:

Margaret only gets out of the trailer park once a year to go to the library to use their computer.

16. Tom says:

I don’t know what this Margaret said but Tyler is a good kid, hard working player who loves the game. My son played with both Tyler and his brother Ben. Our thoughts and prayers are with Tyler and his family and wish him a complete and speedy recovery. Lets hope that there is a Christams Miricle and he is home to open his presents!

17. The Nilan's says:

Get well soon Tyler! Matt and the team are going to play hard with you in mind tonight! God Bless you and your family. A true Christmas miracle!

18. Joe Quigley says:

God bless Tyler and his family. Please know that you are in our thoughts and prayers. When this happens to a child it touches the hearts of many people. My daughter suffered a SCA in Feb. 2009. She is now an active and happy eight year old. We pray for a full and speedy recovery for Tyler.