Keller @ Large: Tips For The Office Holiday Party

A Blog By WBZ's Jon Keller

BOSTON (CBS) — I’m looking forward to attending the WBZ Radio holiday party tonight, for several reasons. Due to our busy schedules I rarely get the chance to socialize with my co-workers and managers, and along with getting to know them better and have a few laughs, it’s also a chance to say thank you for all the great work they do and for putting up with me.

But as you may already know, the office holiday party can offer some pitfalls as well. Let me share a few common sense tips for enjoying the affair gleaned from many years of observing the human comedy that sometimes plays itself out.

For starters, be careful with the eggnog, if you know what I mean. I have seen careers and marriages endangered by the practice of having one too many and letting the eggnog do the thinking. Plus, you’ve got to drive home afterward, and driving under the influence is like throwing a hand grenade into a crowded room – just don’t do it.

Secondly, don’t confuse the office party with an encounter group therapy session. While the holiday party is a fine place to relax a little and chat with your co-workers about more than just business, it is NOT the appropriate time for soul-baring, score-settling, or primal truth-telling. Trust me, you don’t want to be spending New Year’s week scouring the want ads.

And then there are the less serious but potentially troublesome pitfalls. Are you really as good at karaoke as you think? Is your version of The Penguin a dance-floor revelation or a dance floor disaster? You’ve worked hard to win the respect of your colleagues, don’t throw that away quite so readily.

But hey, I don’t want to be a buzzkill. Let’s party tonight, fellow BZers! And please – intercede if you see me reaching for the karaoke microphone.

Listen to Jon Keller’s commentary here:

You can listen to Keller At Large on WBZ News Radio every weekday at 7:55 a.m. and 12:25 p.m. You can also watch Jon on WBZ-TV News.

More from Jon Keller
Comments

1. John Joseph Grimes says:

I have found that Christmas get-togethers that celebrate, can I say the word, Christmas, are one of those yearly obligations that only last a couple of hours and yet make it clear that most of those in attendance I would not really want to have dinner with.

2. Stephen Stein says:

Our company held its holiday party two weekends back, with 2 free drinks apiece, just before an impending layoff. No screaming fights! And almost no dancing. Man, this company is boring!

And Jon – I’d love to see your rendition of “Dirty Water”. I’m sure if it happens it’ll be a YouTube sensation – some camera is bound to catch it!

3. mikey says:

The topics of sex, politics and religion are supposedly off limits at an office party. Great. Looks like the WBZ weather department will be the hit of the festivities.

1. mike says:

Right…about how bad they are at predicting the weather.

1. mikey says:

No matter the profession, everyone messes up from time to time. Just hope your brain surgeon gets it right.

Personally, I think Barry Burbank is the best in Boston. Ms. Ebben is a proud, pretty lady. Indeed.

4. Jon Keller says:

Proud, pretty women…..

Have to be in by 12 o’clock!

1. Stephen Stein says:

Someone grab a camera!

5. Jeff Baker says:

Nice read! I agree, the office party can be quite the ruckus sometimes, especially the games!! One thing too, is that it can be a common site for office/employment issues:

Thanks for this article!

6. StanleyRamon says:

Hey mikey, you’re invited next year.

1. mikey says:

No thanks Stan. I’m not much of a social butterfly and being self-employed I only invited Sam Adams and all my imaginary friends to my Christmas party. We rocked the place.

7. Kathy Nolan Deschenes says:

I’m self-employed. I’ll go pour myself a Bailey’s and call it a Christmas party. Thank God the couch doesn’t have wheels.