Newburyport Family Survives CO Scare

By Alana Gomez, WBZ-TV

NEWBURYPORT (CBS) — The week before Christmas they’re celebrating a second chance.

Sunday morning started as a blur for one Newburyport household.

“I just woke up and I had a headache and I heard the beeping form the carbon monoxide,” said Anne-Margaret Bushnell, who was sleeping on the second floor. She then went to wake up her 14-year-old son Kyle.

“My head hurts, my stomach hurts, so I’m looking around seeing what’s happening and I hear my mom fall on the ground,” said Kyle, who called 9-1-1 before he also collapsed.

Thanks to Kyle’s dad Gordon Bushnell, the family of five is alive.

WBZ-TV’s Alana Gomez reports

Gordon rushed into action telling his two younger sons to run to the neighbor’s house. After that he carried out his wife Anne-Margaret and his son Kyle out of the house.

“Then the CO2 got to him and he fell down and said I’m too tired,” said Kyle.

Paramedics rushed the family to a local hospital, and firefighters said the Bushnell’s would’ve died without Gordon’s quick thinking.

“When you see 999 on the detector we normally say, ‘Oh God that’s a faulty detector,’” said Lt. John Kelleher with the Newburyport Fire Department. “It was faulty; it’s just the readings were so high in the house.”

It turns out a cracked furnace in the basement was leaking carbon monoxide. After their close call, the Bushnell’s added a detector to each level of their house on top of the one that went off in the basement.

“I’m just glad my dad was able to get me and my mom out and everyone out and he’s going to be ok,” said Kyle, who said his dad was the only one who had to stay at the hospital for observation.

“It’s a Christmas miracle that we’re all here we’re all alive and we’re all together,” said Anne-Margaret.

  • Newburyport Family Victims Of CO Poisoning | Health News

    […] original post here: Newburyport Family Victims Of CO Poisoning Tags: Boston, breaking, Christmas, Newburyport, Sports, wbz, Weather, week-before, worcester […]

  • Scooby

    My wife got CO2 detectors for our home 15 years ago when our children were born..They went off two times in that time, once where the firemen showed up..every house should be required to have them

    • Mike


  • Wizard

    CO2 is not a big problem.
    I don’t know why folks are concerned about it.
    They should be more concerned about carbon monoxide…

    • Concerned

      yo dude shut up. this family was in trouble and their son had to speak quickly. i bet if it was you you would have had to act quickly. lets just be thankful that they are all here with us today.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Taz Show
Download Weather App

Listen Live