Former Mayor Kevin White’s Bronze Footprints Stolen

BOSTON (AP) — Perhaps the thief thought if he couldn’t walk in former Boston Mayor Kevin White’s footsteps, he’d just take them.

Police say they are investigating the apparent theft of six oversized bronze footprints that had been embedded in the sidewalk near a statue of the former mayor.

footprints Former Mayor Kevin White’s Bronze Footprints Stolen

The six oversized bronze footprints were embedded in the sidewalk.

The footsteps led to a larger-than-life statue of White, who served as mayor from 1968 until 1984.

Officials think the theft took place last weekend and police are reviewing surveillance video from the area near City Hall and Faneuil Hall. Another of the footprints stolen several months ago has not been recovered.

WBZ News Radio 1030’s Karen Twomey reports

The Pablo Eduardo-designed sculpture was dedicated in 2006.

White is credited with revitalizing the area around Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market, now among the city’s most popular tourist spots.

(Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Comments

1. Italo says:

Who the heck freaking cares???!?

2. Mann says:

I agree, who cares. We place so much value on useless things. If we cared more about our God and family, maybe we would have a few less thieves.

3. Thomas Hood says:

Who cares? Theft of city property? I care! It’s my money that pays for replacing these things. Evidently you wouldn’t know about that since you clealy have no job and live with your mom.

1. cynic says:

Tom..Shouldn’t you be asking WHY you money is being spent on these things.

1. Thomas Hood says:

Naaa, It’s much easier to sit back and launch ad hominem attacks on other commenters ;)

As far as I’m concerned, the giant footprints are art. I’m not opposed to spending a few bucks making the city a nicer place. Now, whether the subject of the ary is deserving of having art made about him, we’re on the same page. I don’t think White did much either.

4. cynic says:

Maybe we should pass a law against erecting monuments unless the Person has actually done something….Selling the Commonwealth Armory to BU for a buck in exchange for a lifetime job is not DOING SOMETHING.

5. cynic says:

I have been searching my brain to see if I could come up with something that Kevin From Heaven actually did and all I can find is that he sent the TPF in to tear up the Rabbit Inn.