Keller @ Large: Narcissistic Boomer Pols

By Jon Keller, WBZ-TV/WBZ News Radio

BOSTON (CBS) — I don’t know if the tax-cut/unemployment benefits deal agreed to by President Obama is going to help snap us out of the job-creation doldrums and boost business and consumer confidence. I don’t think either side of the at-times hysterical debate over the deal going on in Washington right now knows, either.

But I do know this — we’re being governed by Baby Boomers, a generation of politicians whose self-esteem far outstrips any proof of their competence.

How so?

The editorial writers at USA Today put it pretty well yesterday when they wrote: “In any circumstance other than the current dangerously weak economy, the tax deal between President Obama and congressional Republicans would be indefensible. It borrows money the nation doesn’t have….[and] the argument over raising income tax rates will take place in the middle of a presidential election, when pandering is at its apex and responsibility scarce.”

But USA Today notes: “The number of those out of work for more than six months is at record post-Depression levels. So, on balance, a distasteful deal is better than no deal at all.”

This is a classic case study of Boomer political leadership in action. Action that should and could have been taken long ago gets put off so narcissistic pols can scratch their partisan itching. Long-term risks like more ballooning of the deficit are ignored in favor of immediate gratification. And few on either side of the fight, including the president, seem able to muster a shred of statesmanship even as they grudgingly cave in to the urgent need for bi-partisan agreement.

This had better work. If it doesn’t, 2012 will be the second straight Boomer politician bloodbath, because the “me” generation, in both the public and private sectors, is proving to be the most irresponsible generation ever.

More from Jon Keller
Comments

1. Nancy Lange says:

So if Obama had fought the Republicans to do away with tax breaks for the wealthy, keep them for the middle and working people AND continued unemployment benefits, which I wish he could have done, you would be browbeating him for that too. GET POSITIVE KELLER….I’m sick of your negative take on everything.

1. Mike Hanlon says:

Only a fool would be positive about what is going on in America these days. And one more time…These are not tax cuts, thay are the current tax rate. And to liberals like you I have only one thing to say. Keep your hands of my hard EARNED money. Who the hell are you to determine who is “wealthy”

2. mikey says:

” This is an impressive crowd : the Have’s and the Have-more’s. Some people call you the elite. I call you my base ” … George W. Bush

Call them what you wish. I think their tax rate should be increased.

1. JayfromSterling says:

They have a means for you to overpay your taxes if you like Mikey

3. BostonIrish says:

Jon – this one is really one that I don’t get. Why do people think it’s ok to have a higher tax rate for successful people? Is it a penalty to be successful? I don’t agree.

4. mikey says:

What I’m trying to say is to let the Bush-era tax cuts expire on Jan. 1.

” When I was in office, on occasion, the Republicans were kind of mean to me. But as soon as I got out and made money, I became the most important group in the world to them. It’s amazing. I never thought I’d be so well cared for by Bush and the Republicans. I almost sent them a thank you note for my tax cuts, until I realized you were paying for it ” …Bill Clinton, speech to the Democratic National Convention Jul.29, 2004

5. taxedout says:

I’m a Boomer….We did a great job!!!!! Happy with the way the country is today????

6. Bruce Gabriel says:

President Obama is as incompetent from the ultra-left as President Bush (G W) was from the pseudocon right. We need to keep flipping (changing) presidents until we find one who knows what he’s doing.