Hate Group Protests Outside Local Schools

FRAMINGHAM (CBS) – A small group of protestors from the controversial Westboro Baptist Church in Kansas picketed outside several local schools Friday.

The anti-gay group travels around the country to protest homosexuality.

Three adult protestors and three children began their local demonstrations early this morning outside Framingham High School, because the school’s drama group will perform the play ‘The Laramie Project” this weekend.

WBZ Radio’s Doug Cope reports

The play chronicles the torture and murder of Matthew Shepard, a gay man and University of Wyoming student who was murdered in Laramie, Wyoming in 1998.

Police kept the protestors away from the school and they left after a 15-minute demonstration.

About 150 counter-protestors were stationed across the street to show their support for the play, which sold out this week.

The hate group later moved on to hold protests at Brandeis and Harvard Universities.  They also picketed the Islamic Center of Boston in Wayland.

One church leader says Massachusetts distinguishes itself above all other states for its “filthy disobedience against God” and “over the top sin.”

Westboro protestors became known nationwide for their demonstrations outside funerals for American soldiers killed in action.

At those events, church members held up signs claiming the soldiers’ deaths are God’s way of punishing the United States for tolerating homosexuality.

Comments

1. Denise says:

well you gave them what they wanted – publicity!

1. MikeZ says:

Actually I noticed that CBS used “Hate Group” in the title instead of WBC. So they did get some publicity but looks like CBS was trying to think of that

2. John Joseph Grimes says:

On one hand, they should be given zero publicity by any news outlets. Let them stand there and make fools of themselves. On the other hand I cannot understand why people just don’t rip the signs out of their hands and give them a boot. These Jesus freaks who are filled with hate travel from state to state spewing there garbage and get away with it. If I had a family member who was picketed by this cluster of nitwits, there wouldn’t be anyone who could stop me from going after them. It would be worth it to get arrested for assault as long as I could make them feel my wrath and not the wrath of their savior.

1. terri says:

this would make them feel even more like the martyrs they feel they are.

3. Rachel O says:

I don’t understand why WBZ “covered” this story and didn’t say a word about the 100 or so people who came out to protest the WBC members. My husband, who was there, said that the news media was interviewing the WBC members and mostly ignoring all of the people who came out to protest the hate that these people spew. Poor form.

1. MikeZ says:

I’d almost be inclined to take that as a good sign. The media can’t really learn anything from people who completely share the normal human opinion of WBC members so not much news there. I’m sure the protesters would have said the same thing I would have said had I even known the WBC was going to be there). On the other hand the WBC members might say something particularly egregious or stupid that would make for an interesting and probably disgusting quote.

4. The Batman says:

Mr. Grimes, I agree with you that these people are filled with hate and that they are freaks but even though they claim the name of Jesus they in no way, shape or form represent, demonstrate, emulate or reflect the nature of the Lord Jesus who lived and taught love of and for others. The Bible says that many will come who claim to be from Him but deny his power and teachings. On the Day of His Judgement He will say to them “Depart from Me, I never knew you” and I believe that this group is among those who will be hearing those words. The only place left for them at that point is the lake of fire which is a place of eternal torment for those who reject Christ as Savior. Whatever punishment you could give them in this life is nothing compared to what awaits them in that Day.

5. Seasons says:

I totally agree with John J Grimes and also I totally agree with The Batman! Include me on your team! You both see the light on this situation and I do too.

6. Loki says:

One report said that a family with three young children – under 10 – arrived on the scene this morning. I find it chilling that the adults are spewing this garbage but terrifying that they are passing it to their children. I agree that they have accomplished their mission once the news crews arrive.

7. The Batman says:

Loki
    The easiest way for hate and bigotry to survive is for it to be taught to the next generation when they are at their most suseptible and impressionable. These people should not only be charged with some form of hate crime but also with the strongest charge of child abuse available.

1. cynic says:

C-mon…Is anyone but the Media paying any attention to these Moonbats?… That having been said…The easiest way for sickness and perversion to become the norm is for it to be taught to the next generation when they are at their most suseptable and impressionable

1. Jenita says:

I’m impressed by your writing. Are you a prfoseisoanl or just very knowledgeable?

8. alexdarc says:

They are no better than the Klan. At least they just showed up at school/play this time. I think it is reprehensible that in the past they have picketed at funerals. They should never be allowed to do that. It is simply disgusting. No God I know of would approve.

9. Loki says:

The Batman – I agree – my first thought was it is a form of child abuse – brainwashing at its very worst.

Alexdarc – well said! I also do not know a God that would approve of this. I understand they have a few more stopping places in MA before they spread their sorry bigotry elsewhere.

10. cynic says:

WHY Aren’t My comments Being Posted? Is there an approved point of view on this issue?

11. Cynic says:

WBZ…I disagree with you on this one….Lets see if that gets by the censors.

12. cynic says:

Oh it did get by….Lets try this one….Is it posible to disagree with one group without approving of the other?

13. The Rose says:

Cynic, in answer to your question, I would say absolutely you can disagree with one group without approving of another. Who says there can only be two points of view?

How are you doing? :)

14. sloppy_joe says:

these guys are hilarious, I must say that they have balls for protesting at an Islamic Center lets see any of you tough guys do this.

15. alexdarc says:

To: sloppy_ joe –
    They don’t “have balls” they just have an enormous amount oif hate and ignorance. Why would anyone who doesn’t WANT to pretest an Islamic center?

16. ven says:

Hate crimes or free speech, define it for me please.

17. alexdarc says:

I don’t think anyone has called this a hate crime. They are exercising their right to free speech. It would become a hate crime if they broke the law while exercising their freedom of speech. For instance if they attacked someone physically, destroyed property, or tried to protest without proper permits, or on private property.
    These protestors are well versed in where the line is, and while I don’t believe they have actually broken laws, they have crossed the line morally and ethically by insisting on protesting at funerals of fallen soldiers.

18. cynic says:

One comment made four times and deleted four times….oh well……

19. ven says:

alexdarc- The title of this article was hate group, your right I shouldn’t call it hate crime since they haven’t commited any crime. I do agree also about morally and ethically at funerals of soldiers.

20. Loki says:

I do not believe this is what our forefathers meant by freedom of speech. I don’t think they intended for any group to demonstrate at a funeral of someone who died protecting the constitution they put into place. I don’t think they intended for a child to stand holding a sign that says God Hates Jews. We have moved so far from what they fought so hard to build for us that I am ashamed. These people are vile bigots who hide behind God. The reality is that you cannot hide from God.

21. Loki says:

I was also glad to read the account of the Framingham High protest on WHDH’s Web site. They focused on the anti-protestors – the students and families in Framingham who have come out in mass to stand up for EVERYONE’S rights.

22. Ellen says:

Why don’t they just stay home and leave the rest of us alone, but I do agree that the news gives these people what they really want. publicity.

23. Carebear says:

Most importantly I think we should commend FHS for putting on a play with such an important story. Forget the anti gay group and focus on the good that is coming out of this play and Massachusetts!

1. cynic says:

Carebear…and what good was that?

24. Kat says:

Last time I was in Mass. I miss all the over the top sin :(

25. Peg says:

Look at the eyes of that woman – is she brainwashed or what?

26. Emmit066 says:

Whether you agree with what they say or not, they have the right to do it as long as they follow the rules/laws, which they apparently are doing. That being said, I do not agree with what they have to say nor i condone what they have to say. Unfortunately there is always someone out there who will pervert “the word of God, Buddha, Allah, etc” to fit their own ideals. These same people are usually never willing to engage in a legitimate debate over those ideals and cannot come back with a legitimate argument when questioned on their beliefs. Unfortunately religious extremists cannot accept people and ideas that do not conform o their own views. Their loss.

27. markczsanders says:

Greetings from Florida! I’m bored at work so I decided to check out your blog on my iphone during lunch break. I love the information you present here and can’t wait to take a look when I get home. I’m shocked at how quick your blog loaded on my mobile .. I’m not even using WIFI, just 3G .. Anyhow, fantastic blog!