Why Thanksgiving Thursday?

Ken Tucci

Why is Thanksgiving always on a Thursday and who came up with the idea of always having it on a Thursday?  – Tina, Charlton

Pres. Abraham Lincoln in 1863.

Lincoln issued his “Proclamation of Thanksgiving” on October 3rd, to be exact.  Even during the Civil War, Lincoln wanted Americans to be grateful for what he called “the blessings of fruitful fields and healthful skies.”  Remembering the “gracious gifts” Lincoln writes:  “It has seemed to me fit and proper that they should be solemnly, reverently and gratefully acknowledged as with one heart and one voice by the whole American People.”

If you want to read the full proclamation, go here.

The lovely language Lincoln uses is so far from what now passes for political discourse, that it’s worth reading it just from that perspective.

More from Declare Your Curiosity
Comments

1. Elisabeth says:

I really dont get itso e-mail me back why it is on a Thursday.

2. Arlene says:

So be it, President Lincoln chose a Thursday for the holiday. We may never know why it was a Thursday and not a Friday or Monday. Is it really bothering anyone? Not me. I am here on the Friday after Thanksgiving during my lunch time writing this e-mail. I am glad that we can thank President Lincoln for choosing a day everyone celebrates the same day.

3. Cynic says:

Very interesting but why is Thanksgiving on Thursday?

4. Reader says:

It says so in Lincoln’s proclamation. Read it

5. JohnW says:

Yeah, but why Thursday? Wouldn’t Friday be more logical so we could all have a long weekend? I hate Thanksgiving for this reason only. This is a useless and poorly planned holiday.

6. Diver Dave L. says:

The only reason I can figure is, since the first Thanksgiving was reportedly a three day long celebration and they would not have been “celebrating” on Sunday (religious beliefs etc.), they had to start on Thursday. Just a thought.