BOSTON (AP) – A day after Massachusetts’ top court released a scathing report on the hiring practices at the Probation Department, the state inspector general said he’s forging ahead with his own probe.
Inspector General Gregory Sullivan launched his investigation earlier this year at the request of Governor Deval Patrick. He said he is trying to determine if the Probation Department was overstaffed, and if so, in what areas.
Sullivan said Friday he’s looking specifically at workers in the department’s community service and electronic monitoring divisions.
Copies of the report released Thursday by independent counsel Paul Ware have been sent to state Attorney General Martha Coakley and U.S. Attorney Carmen Ortiz.
A spokesman for Ortiz declined to comment on whether she has reviewed the report or launch her own investigation.
(© Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)