Mother Of Girl Who Lost Consciousness In Water Ball Speaks Out

By Beth Germano, WBZ-TV

KINGSTON (CBS) — The mother of a five-year-old girl who lost consciousness inside a water amusement at the Independence Mall in Kingston, is speaking out for the first time.

“I never would have let her go if I had any reservation over the safety of the ride,” she tells WBZ-TV while keeping her identity confidential.

The so-called water ball that lets children jump, run and play inside an inflatable plastic ball in a shallow pool, is now being investigated by the state and the Consumer Product Safety Commission.

They are popular attractions at malls, and now the state is considering whether they should be regulated.

The little girl, zipped up inside the ball, was seen laying down as soon as she entered.

“I thought she was tired,” said her mother. “I thought she was enjoying the sensation of the water and laid down for a minute.”

It would be several seconds before anyone noticed she had lost consciousness, and an attendant waded in and pulled her out.

“She was lifeless, limp, and blue all over,” she said. The mother, a CPR-trained nurse, went to work on reviving her own daughter.

“I did an unknown number of compressions because I was in a panic. I gave her two breaths and she became pink again,” she said.

The water ball at the Independence Mall has been closed for now until the state decides whether guidelines for inspecting the attraction should be issued.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission is also looking into reports of oxygen depletion at other locations. But this mother still doesn’t know what went wrong, and after a battery of tests her daughter is doing fine.

“I don’t think anybody was negligent. It was my choice to put her in the ball. I’m just saying as a mother, my gut is telling me that what happened to her is related to being in the ball,” she said. “I’m just urging other parents to use caution.”

More from Beth Germano
Comments

One Comment

  1. Jean says:

    All too often, in today’s world, we live in a society where people blame everyone, but themselves, for mistakes. This girl’s mother should be commended that she is not blaming anyone for the incident, rather warning people to use caution in the future. I am so happy that her daughter is doing fine. She is a lucky little girl to have her as a parent…and they are blessed that nothing serious happened to their daughter.

  2. KF4766 says:

    Who thought this ride was a good idea in the first place? What’s the first thing we tell a child to do when they capture a caterpillar or a butterfly or any other living thing? – Poke holes in the container! It seems to me that a child moving and rolling around in a watertight and airtight ball would very quickly use up whatever breathable air was in the ball to begin with.

  3. johnt says:

    Direct from the article…
    – The little girl, zipped up inside the ball, was seen laying down as soon as she entered.
    – “I thought she was tired,” said her mother. “I thought she was enjoying the sensation of the water and laid down for a minute.”
    – It would be several seconds before anyone noticed she had lost consciousness, and an attendant waded in and pulled her out.

    What bothers me is that the girl “laid down as soon as she entered” which tells me that something was wrong well before she went into the ball.
    The girl’s mom “thought she was tired” and was “enjoying the sensation of the water” instead of sensing that maybe something was amiss.
    It seems that she lost consciousness almost immediately so I do not fault the ride, the attendants or the mall… This squarely rides on the girl and her mother.
    It would have been a different story of she was in there for 5-10 minutes and this happened but it seems to have happened almost immediately which make me think that as long as the guidelines are followed, the ride is safe.

  4. MajReno says:

    This is why I stay away from the malls, the interior of plastic containers, and
    have no kids

  5. momof 3 says:

    Every time one person has a problem we all have to suffer! We have been riding
    those since we found them and never or so far no one has had a problem. As soon as she entered the ball? I think she passed out from fear if you ask me!

  6. Laurie from Bristol, RI says:

    In response to johnt – Who are you to be the judge to come to the conclusion that “this squarely rides on the girl and her mother” ? Shame on you! You are obviously not a mother or will ever be. NO mother would put her child on such a ride if she thought her child was sick or in danger, and this mother is a nurse to boot! This mother morals are impeccable – she’s not laying the blame on anyone – she’s carrying an important message of caution to other parents? People that make statements like yours are the same people that would be the first to sue in such a situation. It clearly sounds that you are making a plug for the invention and or company, rather than having compassion for a family that has experienced a traumatic experience. May you never have to go through such a harrowing ordeal with someone you love, and have someone blame you for contributing to it.

    1. johnt says:

      I am a dad of two young children and stand by what I stated.
      Also, I have no stake in the company, mall, or anything else to do with this ride so Laurie, you are way off base.
      As the article stated, the kid passed out almost immediately. It is pretty safe to think that the kid probably had a panic attack or was already sick.
      Thousands of children have used these balls and done the same thing without incident and we have one kid “pass-out” and all of the sudden the ride is a potential danger? I think not.

      1. Laurie says:

        I repeat again johnt, may you never have to go through such a harrowing ordeal with either of your children and have someone blame your child or you for contributing to it. Your children are young and you have a long way to go.

  7. emom says:

    SHE LAIDED DOWN , she thought she was tired, as soone as she got on the ride,,, well did anyone think she paniced, hyperventilated, its possible, my child was on this ride at the fair, and well had a blast, and my kid is over 5 feet tall, and over a 100 pounds, and was fine exiting the ball, they pump air in to inflate it , but if a person has any kind of breathing issue then , DONT GO ON IT, not dissing this woman but if this child has a health issue then if many other rides advice not to go one them shouldnt this one come into that same catagory,….the energy to get that ball moving is a lot, and if anyone can not exhert themselves, well should not be on it, most have seen this ball in motion and most have been fine, does it need regulation, welll like anything else I guess so, so we wont have any stupid excuses,,,, for a lawsuit, might I suggest, IF YOU HAVE ANY KIND OF BREATHING ISSUE, HEART ISSUE, HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE, FAINTING PROBLEMS, A FEAR OF BEING CLOSED UP INSOMETHING, FEAR OF WATER, AFRAID OF HIEGHTS, HYPERVENTIALION ISSUES, OR ANY BREATHING ISSUE SHOULD NEVER GO ON THIS RIDE….. THERE HOWS, THAT FOR REGULATIONS, sorry sometimes things get spoiled and caused so much strife in the world,,, USE YOUR COMMON SENSE FIRST, then the world would be grand.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS Boston

Download Our App
Download Weather App

Listen Live