BOSTON (WBZ) –
A Dorchester man charged in connection with the shooting deaths of four people — including a 2-year-old boy – was ordered held on $500,000 bail Wednesday.
35-year-old Kimani Washington pleaded not guilty to charges of weapons violations, drug trafficking and receiving a stolen car in Dorchester District Court.
He has not been charged with murder.
However, prosecutor Ed Zabin said Washington admitted in a recorded interview with police to possessing a car that had been rented by one of the victims and to having two guns.
One of the guns was used in the shootings, Zabin said. He noted that more charges may be filed.
Boston police commissioner Ed Davis told WBZ NewsRadio Wednesday that Washington may not be the only suspect in the case.
Police Commissioner Ed Davis:
Washington was arrested at a friend’s home in Manchester, N.H. on Oct. 1, three days after five people were shot in Mattapan.
Four people died, including a young mother and her 2-year-old son.
A fifth person remains hospitalized in critical condition.
The motive is said to be a drug deal gone bad.
Washington did not speak at Wednesday’s hearing, packed with relatives of the victims.
His lawyer, John Salsberg, has said he “unequivocally denies” hurting anyone.
Zabin had asked for $1 million bail, citing Washington’s previous convictions on charges including drug trafficking and assault and battery. He also said Washington had a large amount of crack cocaine.
Salsberg said he was not making an immediate argument on bail because prosecutors had not provided him with their recording of Washington.
Zabin said prosecutors did not want to turn it over to the defense before a grand jury investigation, “particularly in a case where there is a suggestion that other people are involved.”
Outside court, Salsberg said his client was glad to be back in Massachusetts to face the charges. “Mr. Washington’s family and friends remain very supportive of him,” the attorney said.
Judge Rosalind Miller set a probable cause hearing for Nov. 5.