NEWwbztv-small wbz-am-small 985-small mytv38web2
BOSTON MARATHON: LIVE MONDAY ON CBSBOSTON.COM, WBZ-TV & WBZ NEWSRADIO Read More

Deadly Lowell fire caused by power strip

View Comments
WBZ-AM

The scene in Lowell early Sunday morning. (WBZ-AM)

Investigators say a blaze that tore through a Lowell apartment building killing two residents and displacing at least 20 more has been ruled an accident.

Deputy Fire Chief Jeff Winward tells The Boston Globe that the fire likely started in a power strip on one of the upper floors.

The blaze broke out at about 4 a.m. on Sunday in the 15-unit building at Second and Bridge streets.

Two men died in the blaze, but their names have not been made public.

Other residents of the building have been placed in other apartments owned by the management company that owns the building, while others were placed in hotels by the Red Cross.

Two firefighters suffered from smoke inhalation.

The building is uninhabitable.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus