Northeastern investigates after cyanide death
Northeastern University is conducting a review of how it handles dangerous chemicals after a school lab worker was found dead in her home with a bag marked “cyanide” next to her.
Although autopsy results have not been released, authorities think 30-year-old Emily Staupe poisoned herself by mixing cyanide with orange juice and milk. Police arrived at her Milford home at about 2:30 a.m. Sunday in response to a call from her family.
Staupe worked in the university’s psychology department where cyanide is kept, but school and law enforcement officials are not certain that she took the poison from work.
Melvin Bernstein, the university’s vice provost for research, will head the review.
The discovery of cyanide prompted a massive hazardous materials response to her home and a commuter rail station where her car was found.