Early morning fire forces evacuations at Boston hotel
Hundreds of guests at a Boston hotel and residents of connected condominiums were evacuated when an electrical fire forced officials to cut power to the 21-story building.
Boston Fire Department spokesman Steve MacDonald said no injuries were reported at the Intercontinental Hotel on Atlantic Avenue early Saturday.
Crews were called at 2 a.m. for smoldering wires in a conduit in the building’s garage and arcing wires in the electrical panels.
MacDonald said officials had to cut off electricity to the building, which has 424 hotel rooms and 130 condominiums. Hotel guests and residents were moved to two nearby hotels.
Boston city inspectors and electrical contractors remained on the scene later Saturday morning.