The fire in Marlborough destroyed several businesses and apartments. (WBZ-AM)

An 8-alarm fire that destroyed a downtown building in Marlborough last month is being blamed on grease in the ductwork.

It happened June 26 at 171-175 Main Street.

The fire started at the Central West Grill when grease inside the commercial cooking ductwork ignited. 

The fire destroyed two businesses, the restaurant and a hair salon, and displaced 17 people from apartments on the upper floors.

“This fire is very troubling, because it is exactly the kind of fire that should be prevented by the state fire code,” said State Fire Marshal Stephen Coan.

“This fire should be an example to all owners of establishments with commercial cooking systems on the need to comply with the State Fire Code for inspections and cleaning frequencies of such commercial cooking systems due to their potential for a catastrophic outcome.”

The owner of the restaurant is being cited since the they are responsible for hiring a licensed professional to conduct the inspection and cleaning of the system in accordance with the frequency identified in the State Fire Code.

Starting this past January, any person engaged in the cleaning and inspection of commercial cooking systems must hold a Certificate of Competency issued by the State Fire Marshal. 

The new regulation was developed as a result of the August 2007 fire at the Tai Ho Restaurant in West Roxbury, which caused the deaths of two Boston firefighters, Paul Cahill and Warren Payne.


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s